News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 66
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And "that" -- as they say -- is "that". Other than the illegible four-pager this is all I have. While I feel guilty -- and am sure others feel resentful -- about risking turning this into The Gentleman's Russian Translation Club, I'd appreciate any ANY clues that those more able that I in Ruissian can offer. Perhaps I just need to (1) resubmit this to the Research Wizard and (2) learn Russian (in addition to ....). (The Mongolian is coming along rather well, thank you.)

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1::speechless1: YOU said "Medal for Combat Service - 2627284

Medal for Combat Service - unnumbered"... :speechless1::speechless1: instead of Military Merit Medal!!!! :speechless1::rolleyes:

post #s 35-37 (gives wrong birth year as "1918" for correct 1922, all else matches) is recommendation for Medal for Valor, which was put in thusly:

"From the first days of the Paytiotic War, served in the ranks of the Red Fleet. In the days of the Leningrad blockade, under arty-fire {{yes, that's how it's abbreviated}}} of the enemy, took part in the ranks of salvage raising operations on the battleship "Petropavlovsk," the transport "Svir'," and the Konlodka {{I don't know what type vessel that is--can't find word}}} "Pioner." In all work missions, demonstrated exemplary self-sacrifice, disciplined work. Deserves to be awarded medal 'for Valor.'

Engineer Major Kazin, 143rd Detachment for Underwater Technical Work, 17 May 1945."

It is stamped up top "Ushakov, 28.5.45."

Posts #s38-39 are for his 28.2.46

what is it again

what's its ACCURATE name then

Military Merit Medal :P

That is QUITE an understated Ushakov for 900 days of about the worst fangerous work I can think of during the siege. :ninja:

Thanks much, Rick.

So nothing for the Ushakov. Grrrr .....

Since McDaniel and Schmitt have used the "Medal for Combat Service" in their "Bible", I retain that English phrasing. Likewise, if Battushig wants to call them the "Order of the Sacred Rod" and the "Order of the Polar Star" in English, I'll stay with that. We know what we are talking about??? Personally, I'd just prefer to call them what they are called, but I guess this would put off many collectors?

Did I sort his/hers properly?? What was her maiden name?

If she got the jubilee OPW2, then may we assume he possibly didn't survive to get his?

Guest Rick Research

No, that WAS the Ushakov I just translated. Submitted as a Valor and came back as an Ushakov.

Will sort out what else I can, but get confused by multi pages.

And NO, just 'cause everybody else jumps off the roof doesn't mean WE should, to paraphrase the Collective Ma.

"Service" is "Sluzhba." "Merit" is "Zasluga" which is what the medal says.

Just because everybody else (including Russians and people who cannot tell the very same difference in German between Dienst-versus-Verdienst) are WRONG does not mean we should PERPETUATE their errors.

:shame:

The Martin Luther of Soviet Collecting :rolleyes:

Oh, OK, thanks.

So long as we are standard in our naming, I guess we could call it a "peach" and we'd all know, so long as that vocalulary was published and generally accepted. That is as "wrong" as any other name. The name is the name only in the relevant language and script. I wish McD/S had included the Russian names, as I wish B had included the Mongolian names. THOSE are the names. Until someone publishes something better that sets a new standard, . . . .

(This is why, for example, a publisher is screaming at me just now regarding what he thinks is the "silly" stubborn insistence that a forthcoming book on post-1947 Indian awards includes the names of the awards, properly, in Hindi. But that is :off topic: !)

Back on topic, sorry for multi pages, but legibility is more important, I think., that goofy cuts in text.

Thanks again!

Guest Rick Research

Aside from the FACT that most had NOTHING to do with "battle" :mad: ZASLUGA = MERIT/ JUST DESSERTS. "Boyevie" is literally untranslatable (even in Russian-- it's like the German "Krieger" which cannot wend its way into English without imagery of spears and bare feet). "Battle" is "Bitva," or "Srazhenie." "Combat" is "Boi" or... "Srazhenie." But hundreds of thousands of 10 years long service medals to people who never saw "combat" does not make that an ACCURATE translation.

If it's raining, 10 million people saying it ISN'T won't keep you dry!

Don't make me pop my cork over the collective illiteracy of the entire human race except We Few, We MMM-sayers!!!! Wrong is wrong and correct is correct. This brings up VERY bad repressed memories of that imbecilic "niggardly" "controversy." Don't even GO there.

Ahem.

There are considerable paperwork discrepancies with Comrade Grigory Klementievich Slipchenko's bio, but the most accurate or at least mutually supporting say

Born 18 October 1922 in the village of Drachi, Rzhishchavsky Raion, Kiev Oblast. Working class Ukrainian with 5th (or 6th, pick your paperwork) class education, trained as an electrical machinist. Joined the Red navy 28 August 1941 and seems to have served to September 1956, though granted a December 1956 15 Years Red Star, so... pick your paperwork. Candidate Party Member 1944, Party Member 1946.

Promotions: Senior Sailor April 1945, "Starshina 2nd Status" 3 January 1946, "Starshina 1st Status" 6.11.46, "Leading Starshina" 9.6.49 (afraid I cannot relate these to current navy ranks at all). "Michman" (Warrant Officer) 12.7.52

The text is so spotty and light in posts #s38-41 that I cannot get more than the general drift of "hard work." It was put in as a Nakhimov and came back as his numbered

MMM :P

Posts #s42-43 is 1947 confirmation of Ushakov #14588 per 28.5.45.

Psts #s48-51 are for his first Red Star, with citation text in posts 50 and 51 about his FIVE YEARS of lethally dangerous salvage work and unexploded mines clearance in harbors and up the River Dvina while

Commander of Divers, 99th Divers Group, 406th Independent Division of Emergency Rescue Service, Riga Naval base, 8th Naval....

but I have to go lie down now on my fainting couch, until my peeves have evaporated. :P