News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Not sure if this Burmese award is included in forum

Sadly this is a unnamed medal

Google search says "A large (51mm) gold medal awarded during the colonial period. The Burmese on reverse reads: Ahmu-dan-gaung Tazeik-ya Min (An official who has been awarded the medal for good service) and entitled to use the letters ATM after his name. The two other levels of the order were: Kyet thaye zaung Salweya Min (An official who has been awarded the Sash of Glory) and used the letters KSM after name; Thuye gaung ngwe Daya Min (An official who has been awarded the Silver Sword for Heroism) and used the letters TDM after name. "

20171114_231501.jpg

20171114_231433.jpg

@peter monahan this is Burmese equivalent to title badge, the difference is this is made out of gold and title badges were struck in silver

Just now, Mike McLellan said:

Beautiful. I’ve never seen one before. When Professor Google called it a “gold medal”, was he refering to the colour or the content of the metal? Very nice, indeed!

Mike

Yes Mike it seems it's referring to it's content.

There were 3 categories if this medal, however I have never seen other two

Excellent!  Another tidbit of really valuable info. to add to what a former girlfriend called my 'storehouse of mental dross'! ;)

Serioulsy, this sort of thing is why I haunt this site - nowhere else would people know or care about such beautiful and historically important objects. 

• 3 months later...

Hello Gentlemen, 

But this medal is for sale in Rangoon. By the way it is a named one, on the rim : U SAN KYAW 3rd JUNE 1925

I had it in hands in mid November 2017. Diameter is about 60 millimeters and weight about 80 grammes.

The family that own it, use a "broker" to sell it. But then the asking price is about 13.500 US $...........

Yes I know that sounds high, very high, when retail price of gold would be 4.500 US $, but in Burma, getting post 1962 Ne Win era or later is cheap, but any medals from Burma 1948 to 1962 is hard and they comes expensive. Any Campaign Medals in silver with Queen Victoria or Edwards VII, that are for sale in the Scott Market would be 2 to 3 times more expensive than in auction houses in London. That's a fact. I've been Rangoon 7 times (1st time in February 2006, then 6 times between 2012 & November 2017).

For those who dreams, no I never come across any Efficiency Medals with scroll BURMA, neither the KGVI Burma Police Distinguished Conduct.....

Best regards.

Emmanuel

These are the photo I took with my phone in November 2017

UK Burma KGV Good Civil Servant Medal obverse.jpeg

UK Burma KGV Good Civil Servant Medal reverse.jpeg

UK Burma KGV Good Civil Servant Medal Rim 1.jpeg

UK Burma KGV Good Civil Servant Medal rim 2.jpeg

UK Burma KGV Good Civil Servant Medal rim 3.jpeg

UK Burma KGV Good Civil Servant Medal rim 4.jpeg