News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Did someone watch this episode? Asking price $20k. Modern ribbon. Rick asked his expert, and then he passed on this one... The red flag for Rick and his expert was that the W was upside down with respect to the 938 silver mark.

It looks good . However there is something odd with the enamel. It looks like if it was reworked or re enamelled...

A3_DC11_BE-78_D1-425_D-_BD08-2344278_CBA

9 minutes ago, dond said:

The red flag for Rick and his expert was that the W was upside down with respect to the 938 silver mark.

I thought that was a good sign?

It was common for the makers mark to be upside down in relation  to the silver content mark, but this was not always the case. I mean, this factor alone is not enough to determine a good cross from a bad one

Edited by GMU

32 minutes ago, dond said:

I know that. But on the flip side, it is not enough to make it bad.

Yup. And that was the expert’s red flag. That’s why he told Rick he was 80% sure it was a good piece, whatever that means...

But, who takes an authentic PLM to Pawn Stars anyway? 

Edited by GMU

Nah, these things are all scripted way before hand.  I've heard some of the deals don't really go through, they are just for show.  People will audition a piece to get on the show, then the studio builds a scene for them.   Fun to watch, but real it sure isn't :-) 

Who was the expert?    Not that museum director with the bad hat? 

55 minutes ago, Chris Liontas said:

Nah, these things are all scripted way before hand.  I've heard some of the deals don't really go through, they are just for show.  People will audition a piece to get on the show, then the studio builds a scene for them.   Fun to watch, but real it sure isn't :-) 

Who was the expert?    Not that museum director with the bad hat? 

OMG:o yet another dream shattered:D

Edited by Alex K

ROFL!!! That guy cracks me up. He wouldnt know a real PLM if it bit him in the a$$! :) Always laugh when he tries to authenticate something.  I know it is not supposed to be comedy but it sure is funny.  Only Gottlieb was worse.  

Edited by Chris Liontas

Their production company is in Brooklyn.  One of the PAs jobs is to cruise eBay for interesting high-end items and contact the seller to persuade him to come on the show...oh, and you have to fly your own ass to Vegas for the honour of being on camera and making their show a success.  I had a Polish Winged Hussar helmet that I had NO incentive to let Gottlieb pronounce over in 50 countries--or wherever they are syndicated. The PA (twenty-something gal) called me back a year later saying Rick thought it would be neat to have a Viking sword on his show, and did I know where there were any! 

And yes, EVERYTHING is worked out ahead of time right down to the back and forth of the negotiation.  But why mutton heads don't put their genuine treasures into legit auctions I guess goes to the lure of the 15 minutes of fame.

Edited by Luftmensch

I remember one episode in which someone brought a horse gas mask to the shop. I think some "expert" said it was used during WW1 but in fact it was developed in the late seventies in Yugoslavia. If I remember well they bought it for 1000$.
    There's also that episode with the Russian White Eagle Order.

27 minutes ago, Daniel Cole said:

No. It isn’t. I’ll post some screenshots of the pawn  stars plm

By the way, I believe this PLM in not good. 

05748415-_F2_E8-4_E08-8_B46-_DE2_FB8_BBD

A30_C1694-19_F5-466_E-_A74_C-15858_F39_A

B79232_DA-_B47_D-4340-_A227-_F1288_A0_F1

Edited by GMU