News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

IPB Image

Okay, now for what I was told about it:

It's a standard hard cover award booklet with the usual "valid without photo" stamp. Issued to Lar'kin Vasili Alexandrovitch, with awards as follows:

Order of Lenin (December 22, 1976)

Labor Glory 3rd Class (April 20, 1977)

Red Banner of Labor (October 10, 1979)

October Revolution (January 30, 1980)

Dates and serial numbers seem to make sense. Facsimile signature of Georgadze, Secretary of the Presidium of the Supreme soviet. Issued December 23, 1976. Then goes the standard text about Soviet orders, etc.

Okay, that's what I was told about this one. Is this correct? Does anyone have anything they can add? :rolleyes:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Guest Rick Research

I'm afraid that what this is WAS apparently a perfectly good--and by that time quite uncommon-- Lenin single award book that has been destroyed by three subsequent fraudulent entries.

Back 10 years ago, who knew? But I have been quite pathologically :rolleyes::ninja: keeping track of specific-date numbered awards for all this time and the ones after the Lenin do NOT make sense.

My data base on civil/politcal Orders numbers is sporadic, to be charitable, since I focus on military awards BUT

Labor Glory 3rd in that range should have been awarded in the huge mass in MAY 1978.

Red Banners of Labor in the 203,XXX range were awarded in 1952 not 1979. I've got one noted 300 numbers off from this in April 1952.

October Revolutions passed 94,000 in 1977.

Once again, greedy pigs ruined something of lasting value trying to make it worth more-- and the result is worthless. :(

Sorry Dan,

in my mind Rick is totally right. At least the dates and serial number of the Red Banner of Labor (October 10, 1979) and the October Revolution (January 30, 1980) doesn?t fit together.

regrads

Andreas

Hi Rick, Alfred,

Many thanks for the comments and the explanations for all this. I'd have had absolutely no idea. I "think" it was an Ebay one and if memory serves I don't think I have much in it at all. It's one that no one bid on if I remember correctly so I grabbed it at minimum bid. Was a looooooooong time ago early on in my Soviet collecting. Just wanted an example of an award book and one with an OoL in it seemed a good one to have.

Am extremely sorry to hear what they did to this. Wish it could be undone. It's a crying shame the history that has been damaged due to greed or sheer stupidity. It's like while watching a documentary the other day they mentioned the Dead Sea scrolls and how the mother of one of the finders used some of them as firelighters! ARRRRRRGH!

And I can't imagine how much useful reference material was destroyed in the final days of WWII when between the Germans burning stuff, things being destroyed in battle and then vengeful citizens and occupiers finishing up the job. It's a wonder we have anything left! :angry:

As much as it pains me that it's less than it should be I'm not going to get too broken up over it as again it wasn't a huge investment... upsetting for the loss of history but at least I don't have a ton it it.

But glad I posted it as again I'd have had no earthly idea.

Thanks guys! You're the greatest! :beer::D

Dan

I think it's really a shame that a very scarce and interesting book has been trashed here. Bummer.

:angry:

Hey, not that I particularly want to break down and sob at the moment, although it's been that kind of month in some ways... what "would" it have been worth had it not been "screwed" with? Again I don't think I have alot in it... perhaps $5 or something rediculously low like that. Just hope we're not talking about something that might have been a $100 item here! :(

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

what "would" it have been worth had it not been "screwed" with? Again I don't think I have alot in it...

You're not losing much. I think it might have gotten $10 from someone on eBay without the other entries. I venture to bet that if you went to sell it, you still might get $10 for it...

Dave

You're not losing much. I think it might have gotten $10 from someone on eBay without the other entries. I venture to bet that if you went to sell it, you still might get $10 for it...

Dave

Hi Dave,

Whew! :P Well other than my being upset :banger: at it being a "nice" piece that was screwed up by some moron, :violent::angry: money wise I'm not hurting so at least I've got that going for me on this one. :rolleyes:

Sure wish it was something that could be fixed and brought back to it's glory. But perhaps in the future such things will be possible.

Many thanks for the input. :D:cheers:

Dan

Guest Rick Research

Look at it this way--

at some distant Star Trek-ish future, this will have novelty collecting value as an "early fake" the way I see OLD Third Reich fakes having curiosity value now.

Of course, I'd be a lot more thrilled about THAT if the junk in question hadn't been bought by me in my own lifetime.... :speechless1:

Hi Rick,

Hey, I'm really glad to see you... thought perhaps you'd really stroked out... was getting concerned! Rest assured though... the "golden horse" is untouched (other than measuring, weighing, etc.) and will remain so. No solvents, no blow torches, no harsh or abbrasive chemicals, scrub pads, steel wool, etc... I promise! :cheeky::rolleyes:

I do hope we can figure it out though. I just keep hearing the same thing from WL on it... and it's like... yes... yes, I know... it's supposed to be black. Sigh. :banger::speechless::P

But if nothing else I'm glad that and my French post have gotten a ton of things going. I think I've answered about sixty some odd posts on those two subjects alone today... least it feels that way. But as with all of this it's all been great fun!

On the book... I'm glad at least that it's safe in my riker now and no more harm will be done by any unscrupulous individuals lurking around out there. She might be messed up but I love her just the same. :love:

Oh, just out of curiosity, don't suppose you do research on U.S. material? I've had a picture that is from a print block that belongs to a friend of mine and other than some semi educated guesses I've made we've no idea of what all it really is. Also some tabs and sort of a set of boards (German?)... all over in the valuation/ID forum:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7307

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7305

Didn't know if you'd by chance seen them and if not if perhaps you could shed any light on them oh wise and revered one? :rolleyes:

Many thanks, :cheers:

Dan