News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The French Collection

Hauptmann

I know that the wound ribbon is the official version (and the medals have been added by various enterprising folks), but do you know how you are supposed to wear a wound ribbon? Is it worn as part of your ribbon bar, or is the way someone has attached one to his Croix de Guerre, as shown in your picture, correct usage?

I know about the fourragere being a unit award, and worn - when in uniform - on your shoulder; and that the miniature ones on medals are an unofficial way of showing your entitlement when in civilian dress.

• Replies 201
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that the wound ribbon is the official version (and the medals have been added by various enterprising folks), but do you know how you are supposed to wear a wound ribbon? Is it worn as part of your ribbon bar, or is the way someone has attached one to his Croix de Guerre, as shown in your picture, correct usage?

Hello Megan,

I know you know those things (sorry if my previous post was casting any doubts on that) ... just wanted to make the point that I didn't think an "unofficial stuff" section was necessary on the page concerned.

As to the wound ribbon, it's either part of a ribbon bar when ribbons only are worn or, when medals are worn, can be either affixed on a medal's ribbon (as in the CdG picture) or on a bar (one with a little ball at each end). The latter is, as far as I know, the correct and official way of wearing.

Hope this helped,

Hendrik

M?daille de la Gendarmerie Nationale:

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2007/post-1530-1173736611.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2007/post-1530-1173736631.jpg

Nice one! I'm still missing that one in my French police collection! (*hint to any of my fellow-SKF-members, who are going to Paris in a couple of weeks ;)*)

Nice one! I'm still missing that one in my French police collection! (*hint to any of my fellow-SKF-members, who are going to Paris in a couple of weeks ;) *)

Ahem, Erik, ... this is not an inexpensive medal !

Taken from a 2002 sales catalogue : 183.00 Euros :mad: Probably can be found for a lesser amount but it gives one an idea of what to expect !

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello Megan,

Here's what I have on the Resistance Medal (main source : http://www.france-phaleristique.com/accueil.htm ) :

- instituted in London on 9 February 1943 by the French National Comittee

- could be awarded posthumously

- no longer awarded after 1947 (with the exceptions of deported/interned Resistance members or posthumous awards)

- criteria :

a. taking an especially active part in the resistance against the axis forces or their allies on French soil (including overseas French territories)

b. taking an effective and important part in rallying French territories to the Free French cause or rendering signal services to the war effort in those territories

c. playing an eminent role abroad in the propaganda and actions of organisations grouping or supporting resistance efforts

d. rallying troups, ships or planes to the Free French forces in exceptionally difficult or dangerous circumstances

e. rejoin the Free French forces in particularly difficult or meritorious circumstances

- could also be awarded to non-French under the same conditions as above

- some 64,000 medals were awarded, about 20,000 of them posthumously

- collective awards could and were made to military organisations (ships, units, etc.), towns, schools, hospitals etc. and to a few selected societies, the list of which can be found on the above website.

No idea what the criteria for the Resistance Medal with Rosette entail. Its recipients received the title of Officer of the Resistance (instituted on 2 November 1945)

The original medals were produced in London (J.R. Gaunt) and differ from the later (ca. 1950) model depicted above. I'll have a look for a couple of pictures of one ...

Cheers,

Hendrik

I find the London produced ones more pleasurable to the eyes than those french produced!

The french ones look cheaper with the shimmer on it....

Just like it's a toy, a big boy's toy.

Kind regards,

Jacky

Ahem, Erik, ... this is not an inexpensive medal !

Taken from a 2002 sales catalogue : 183.00 Euros :mad: Probably can be found for a lesser amount but it gives one an idea of what to expect !

Cheers,

Hendrik

Didn't got a mail that someone replied, hence the late reply: OK, than that's probably the reason why it's still missing from my collection :rolleyes:

I find the London produced ones more pleasurable to the eyes than those french produced!

The french ones look cheaper with the shimmer on it....

Jacky,

I think the shimmering ones you refer to are those being produced still today by the Paris Mint and others as opposed to the original French strikes from the 1950's or 1960's. Those older ones are in bronze and don't "shimmer" at all. Some of the new strikes are gilt-coloured and one does need sunglasses to look at them :D

Cheers,

Hendrik

Do you good folks think that the early London version is different enough to be shown as a '1st Type' of the M?daille de la R?sistance?

I have just added the Ordre des Palmes Acad?miques to the website. That seems to have passed through 2 earlier forms before the 1955 version awarded today. I think I have seen earlier ones, but am not sure which is which (yet!).

Here's the 1955 (current) version: -

Commander

Officer

Knight

Do you good folks think that the early London version is different enough to be shown as a '1st Type' of the M?daille de la R?sistance?

I have just added the Ordre des Palmes Acad?miques to the website. That seems to have passed through 2 earlier forms before the 1955 version awarded today. I think I have seen earlier ones, but am not sure which is which (yet!).

Hello Megan,

Both obverse and especially the reverse of the London type are quite different from the later French issue that, in my opinion, it merits being presented on your site as the original award.

Very nice pictures of the current Palmes Acad?miques. As far as I know, there are 6 other "models" (and no doubt each of them has "variations"). Three of these other types are the early embroidered patches (Empire, Restauration and Monarchy types) but the other three are wearable medals. Unfortunately, I have no time frame for those either other than 1866 - 1955).

Here's one of them :

Cheers,

Hendrik

Thank you, but it is only polite to ask... Too many people just grab whatever they fancy!

However, anyone who wishes to use anything I post on here is more than welcome.

Edited by Megan

Thank you, Guy.

Does anyone know how many types of the Ordre du M?rite Agricole there were? Your Commander cross is the 1st type (date 1900 on it), yes? The one I posted (and the Officer) seem to be of better construction than the Knight, & I have seen Commanders & Officers of the quality of the Knight... so is that 3 different types?

Aaaargh. Think I'll go & do the Order of Maritime Merit instead :D