News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The French Collection

Hauptmann

These are all fascinating, particularly as I'm doing some much needed work on the French section of my website. Please do pop over & comment (especially if you can help me out where I don't know something!).

(I actually came here because Ed Haynes wanted to give me some Afghan pictures for said website & the easiest way was to point me to where he'd posted them here... but the rest of the forum is so fascinating I shall be staying :D )

Finally a lady !!!!! Things are looking up!!!

Great to see you here!!!!

• Replies 201
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed! Welcome Megan! :beer: Here's hoping you have a great time here, learn alot and I'm sure you'll have alot to pass along to the rest of the members as well. Great to have you on board! :D

Dan :cheers:

Great,

not only a woman, but also a great insight in the world of phaleristics....

Your website is absolutely stunning, many many images and overviews of state-decorations.

Welcome here!!

Kind regards,

Jacky

Maybe I need to become an honorary 'Gentleman' to be here...

Ohhh no... we don't want that !

Reminds me of the time in the 80s when a West Indian cricketer was invited to play in South Africa for a club. This left the Govt scratching their heads... obviously there where many places he could not go and things he could not do.

In a move that was painfully clumsy, even by the standards of the govt of the time... they solved the problem by declaring him an "Honorary white person".... :speechless:

Just wear trousers and brylcream your hair whenever you log on to the forum and we will simply consider you one of the gang.

Thank you all...

Just added the French Croix de Guerre 1914-18 - don't have pictures of all the variants, alas... anyone got pictures they'd be willing to share?

(Yeah, I can be quite shameless asking - the whole site is made with pictures people give me... I don't actually collect 'things' just information!)

What a great site. Bravo Megan! When you refer to variants of the French Croix de Guerre, do you mean official, semi-offical and Vichy variants? You'll see quite a rare one if you click here.. The riband is the standard Vichy type as fitted to the 1939-1940 crosses reissued by the P?tain government to men who stayed or re-engaged in the French Army after the armistice. Then there are the Giraud crosses, the LVF cross and, of course, the TOE cross.

PK

At the moment, Paddy, I am looking at the Croix de Guerre 1914-18 which came with 4 different reverses (1914-15, 1914-16, 1914-17 & 1914-18 - as they discovered that the war wasn't over as fast as expected!), and with 4 different emblems that could appear on the ribbon.

The Croix de Guerre 1939-45 and the TOE will come as separate entries. I guess the Vichy stuff will have its own section, as you are not allowed to wear them in France.

I take it you are OK with my using them?

Hello Megan,

Certainly ... and you might also want to add in the text on your webpage the existence of a silver palm, which replaced the award of 5 bronze ones.

Cheers,

Hendrik

You are most kind, Hendrik!

What do you all think is the best way to handle things like the fourageres (no I cannot remember how to spell it!) & the wound ribbon - a bit at the bottom for 'Unofficial attachments' perhaps?

... the best way to handle things like the fourageres (no I cannot remember how to spell it!) & the wound ribbon - a bit at the bottom for 'Unofficial attachments' perhaps?

Hello Megan,

The full-sized fourrag?res are, as you know, official unit awards whereas the miniature ones worn on medals are indeed unofficial. However, the wound ribbons (both those for military and civilian wounded) are 100 % official ... whereas the corresponding wound medals are not !

Perhaps a note on the proper pages would suffice ?

Cheers,

Hendrik