News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Am I wrong in my assumption about this Italian medal?

I always thought this medal was for members of a WW2 partisan unit called the Garibaldi Brigade. Looking on google though I think though I may be wrong and that the Garibaldi Brigade was in fact from the Spanish Civil War and this medal was for members of that unit for the Spanish civil War. Can anyone enlighten me? 

Also, what on earth is the image on the obverse supposed to be? 

Regards 

Duncan. 

s-l400.jpg

Hello Duncan , the medal is of the time of the Partisan Struggle against Germans in  Italy. not the Spanish Civil War the Garibaldians were the communist party Brigades , the emblem of the obverse is a Scarf tied as the partisans weared it . the garibaldians weared red scarfs . 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, this is the medal instituted in 1965 by the (Veterans') Command of the Garibaldi Assault Brigades, awarded with a diploma, to the still living veterans and the next-of-kins of fallen partisans who fought in those units, on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the Libération.

Bibliography:

C.I.F.R.: "Medaglie e Pagine di Storia nella Lotta di Liberazione in Emilia Romagna", Reggio Emilia, 1990

Franco Scandaluzzi: "Medaglie e Distintivi della Resistenza e della Liberazione" , Milan, 2001, page 136 and plate III.

Best wishes,

E.L.

Edited by Elmar Lang

• 8 months later...