News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Patriotic War

Guest Darrell

Guest Rick Research

Here are a wartime pair to a sappers Guards Major named Kremnev that luckily came with the Temporary Certificates, so there are his rank, unit, and exact award dates for these that would otherwise simply be scrawled without any clues in an Orders Book.

He received his OPW 1st Class in 1944 and his OPW 2nd Class in 1945, so different degrees of merit affected these, and they did not need to be earned in class order.

The OPW 1st-- the rays are real gold, which is why they were cut out to save bullion, and the hammer/sickle are gold rivetted on.

Guest Rick Research

Here is Major Kremnev's OPW 2nd Class-- note the rivetted gold hammer/sickle, as on all these pre-1985 ones, and among the almost endless varieties of reverses on these, the "pie pan" reverse of this one made such a hermetic seal with the disk screwed down that the "as issued" silver color remains under the circle, while the exposed edges have acquired a black silver patina over 60 years.

I suspect Kremnev did not long survive the war, which is why he still had both Temporary Certificates-- they had not been replaced by an Orders Book.

Guest Rick Research

Like most Soviet decorations, the Orders of the Patriotic War could be awarded multiple times in the same grade to a recipient... as is the case here with the suspiciously Dracula-looking naval administrative (!!!) Captain 1st Rank Pankratov in 1958

Guest Rick Research

Kremnev? yes, his campaign medals and their award booklets.

One thing about the 1985 Jubilee OPWs-- there is NOTHING to tell you what the recipient was, from the standard pre-printed award booklets. There are multiple serial number letter prefixes which may simply have been assigned by geographic regions, for all that I can tell.

It is really helpful to obtain the actual WW2 documentation that goes with any 1985 jubilee OPW.

This one is the same as any others... except this man was a career State Security/Technical officer-- this came with parts of the rest of group 1946-1985. His 1946 Medals Book actually has his photo in it... but that's another thread!

• 3 months later...

Pat Wars....just love these great medals...and they have not yet reached crazy prices...unless you find a hanger.....

This group is mounted as is, by the real owner....obviously really proud of his Guards status as he mounts his war time Guards badge next to his pair of Patriotic wars Class 1 and 2.

He was a Major Vjali Robert Alexandrovish

Chris

He has been awarded the Victory over Germany medal twice, one for the military front and the other for the civil front ...

I deduct therefore he was wounded and continued the war as a civilian...both in great condition..

Chris

I don't normally bother with groups if they are not supported by documents, as they could be put together...if they are worth it individually maybe...but normally I give it a miss.

This group caught my eye...its just wonderful...2 Patriotic wars 1st class and a loverly Red banner bar.

Nice additional school and Naval vet badges....the paterna is all the same...old and rich...Gerd this will be the first one I will get researched to prove it is a Group...I am sure it is..

Chris