News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cap-badge and/or Uniform ID needed please...

Hello team;

I'm hoping that somebody will be able to identify the Forage Cap / Cap Badge / Uniform in the attached image.

Best guess is that it's UK c. 1899/1900; and I'm hoping for an association to Northumberland and specifically the Northumberland Hussars, but I've not been able to fond that link thus far.

Thank you in anticipation...

Cheers;

Lee

Robert Whinham CLARK.jpg

On 23/08/2019 at 14:25, Jerry B said:

A fire brigade perhaps?  No idea....

Thanks Jerry; there's a clear 'association' to a fire-brigade with the axe in the motif; but we're still no further forward on that front either... 

On 23/08/2019 at 15:31, Dave Wilkinson said:

I don't think its a military guy. My theory is that he is a bandmaster of a Town Band or similar.

Dave.

Thanks Dave; Sadly, we've come to the conclusion that this is not a military uniform, at least certainly not UK, and this man has no known overseas association... We can't place the cap-badge motif at all for his known local area which is proving really frustrating!!!

Thanks both for your time.

Cheers;

Lee

Hello to all , The style of the cap is clearly British . but the badge is not military . 

The frogged coat not was current among Firefighters . perhaps the badge is the badge of a City .and the man was a CIty official ,

The badge is not a UK municipal Coat of Arms, or part of a municipal Coat of Arms that I recognise. It could be a design used on a local town "seal" or similar. To reiterate my earlier theory, I believe he is a civilian bandmaster of some sort.

Dave. 

Although not my field at all, could it be a family crest? Would that make sense? I had a quick search including the words "embowed, armoured, dexter, arm, halberd, wreath" and google directed me to certain books on that subject. It looks like several Irish families had crests with embowed arms in armour holding different weapons.

Just an uneducated guess...

Edit: Since I saw that the photo comes from the ancestry website, what was the family name of the man?

Edited by giorgos_p

On 28/08/2019 at 02:48, Bayern said:

Hello to all , The style of the cap is clearly British . but the badge is not military . 

The frogged coat not was current among Firefighters . perhaps the badge is the badge of a City .and the man was a CIty official ,

Bayern; Thanks for your time & input. We're pursuing all known 'local' affiliations (to Northumberland), but so far we're drawing blanks at each turn! C'est la vie...

On 28/08/2019 at 09:07, Dave Wilkinson said:

The badge is not a UK municipal Coat of Arms, or part of a municipal Coat of Arms that I recognise. It could be a design used on a local town "seal" or similar. To reiterate my earlier theory, I believe he is a civilian bandmaster of some sort.

Dave. 

Hi Dave; thanks again for responding. As above, we're pursuing 'local' affiliations without success at this time; but we're grateful for your suggestions...

23 hours ago, giorgos_p said:

Although not my field at all, could it be a family crest? Would that make sense? I had a quick search including the words "embowed, armoured, dexter, arm, halberd, wreath" and google directed me to certain books on that subject. It looks like several Irish families had crests with embowed arms in armour holding different weapons.

Just an uneducated guess...

Edit: Since I saw that the photo comes from the ancestry website, what was the family name of the man?

Giogos; The family name is 'Clark' from Northumberland, UK and with no known Irish roots; all roads lead to Scotland on that front. The family did not have a crest; sadly!

Cheers;

Lee

12 hours ago, LKB said:

Giogos; The family name is 'Clark' from Northumberland, UK and with no known Irish roots; all roads lead to Scotland on that front. The family did not have a crest; sadly!

Lee, this is an interesting coincidence, but the crests I referred to, were actually the ones of families named either Clark or Clarke, and after reading a little bit more carefully, not all of them are Irish. I don't know if it is just a coincidence or if crests could have mixed elements after marriages between different families, and I surely hope I am not unnecessarily pointing at a wrong direction, but maybe you could find having a look at this book useful.

https://archive.org/details/fairbairnsbookof01fair/page/n131

Regards,

Giorgos

11 hours ago, giorgos_p said:

Lee, this is an interesting coincidence, but the crests I referred to, were actually the ones of families named either Clark or Clarke, and after reading a little bit more carefully, not all of them are Irish. I don't know if it is just a coincidence or if crests could have mixed elements after marriages between different families, and I surely hope I am not unnecessarily pointing at a wrong direction, but maybe you could find having a look at this book useful.

https://archive.org/details/fairbairnsbookof01fair/page/n131

Regards,

Giorgos

Hi Giorgos;

MANY thanks for this; I'll certainly take a good look. My apologies for spelling your name incorrectly last time ?

Cheers;

Lee