News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Theory on Polar Stars

Bob

There is one on the "site where you can buy everything"-dot-com with #545 yet it is not an Uighur... so it shouldn't exist in that way.

Could it be that the same practice that is not uncommon with Soviet Orders of Lenin for instance is also applied to Polar Star? E.g. people were asked to replace an Uighur with a new script one but it continued to have the old number?

This would also explain the high price of Uighurs despite - in theory - there being close to 3000 of them based on witnessed numbers.

Just a thought...

Guest Rick Research

That is certainly as plausible as them simply starting over at "1" every time the design changed-- which the Soviets did NOT do! :beer:

We need documented Orders Book and awards SETS SETS SETS

Good thougfht, Bob. Something similar has been gnawing at me too. Battushig alludes to a return and replacement policy, with the old badges being melted down :( by the authorities. Much to think (and ask) about.

While Soviet practice is a guide, it a suggestion only. That the Soviets may have done something in a certain way is a hint the Mongols did it too, but I think it requires confirmation.

Yet, as Rick says so rightly, documented sets are the evidence we need (absent official government correspondence saying "this is what we are going to do").

That is certainly as plausible as them simply starting over at "1" every time the design changed-- which the Soviets did NOT do! :beer:

They definitely started at "1" again each time they changed the design, I've seen type 1's with serial numbers in the 700 range, type 2 n?s 57-2800+, and a type 3 n?2. Now, to know if they were replacements that is hard say, I've no idea.

On the other hand there were approx 3000 type 2 awarded and they are fairly common, but there were approx 2500 Red Banner for Military Valor Orders awarded which are MUCH, MUCH rarer. Their design changed more drastically also. So maybe these were exchanged and Polar stars not.

Remember I do not know, I'm just thinking aloud

So to quote Rick:

We need documented Orders Book and awards SETS SETS SETS :P

Jan