News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Signature is for an Austro-Hungarian Generalmajor, but no one over at the Austro-Hungarian Empire topic has been able to assist.

So in desperation I have come here hoping that some one maybe able to decipher the name.

Mein Bosniak "Flock"
    Juli 1916

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Generalmajor.jpg.b31e7d1249450a376fe3e5fc16bd642f.jpg

It looks like "_auer" to me. Leopold Frhr. v. Hauer was already a Gen.d.Kav. by this point, and I don't see a "Gauer".  There were a couple of Bauers - Gen.Maj. (11.11.14) Viktor Bauer v. Bauernthal and tit. Gen.Maj. Ludwig Bauer v. Markassek - but it does not really look like a "B" to me.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

My first instinct was 'Rauch", but as previously written there was no 'Rauch' in the list of Generals.                                                      As for the Bauer's I have all but eliminated them via  crude facial recognition.   

Not Leopold v. Hauer as you correctly state he was a Gen der Kav by that stage.  

Could he be a Hungarian? I very much doubt it, but one never knows.

Regards,

Ian

Ian,

So from the looks of it, based on the pic and the notation "GM" after the scribble, your man was a GM in July 1916, with a Bosnian horse called "Floch" (that is what I think "Mein Bosniaker" refers to), so possibly cavalry.

Viktor Andreas Leopold Bauer Edler von Bauernthal would fit that bill: born 31.3.1867, died 24.11.1937, GM 1.11.1914, FML 1.11.1917, commander K.u.K. 10th Cavalry Division October 1915 - November 1918. I could not find a picture of the man, but he seems like a strong possibility. Was he amongst the Bauers you eliminated? 

I've checked for Rauch and a number of other possibilities, but I've not found anyone of general rank with the surname "Rauch", and could not identify other possible candidates.

Hope of use. 

Kind regards,

Sandro

Thankyou for the information. I can add the following:

I have located a photo of Leopold Bauer von Bauernthal and feel 99.9% confident that I can rule him out. In the photo I have seen Leopold is younger looking and is wearing glasses. 

There is a Tit. GM Anton Bauer who was pensioned in Feb 1913 and I am wondering if he was recalled and this could be the mystery GM.

Also a Ludwig Bauer von Markaszeg pensioned in 1910, and recalled in 1914.  He was Hungarian.  After recall he was the Stationkmdt. in Miskolcz and it doesn't seem likely that he would be my man

Regards,

Ian

Edited by Ian
    Information correction

Pleasure Ian. Why not share the pic of von Bauerntal you say you have located? Von Bauerntal would have been 49 at the time of the pic, which seems possible. When was your pic taken?

Anton Bauer was born in 1855, so he was 61 by the time the pic was taken - the man in the pic seems younger, but it is possible. As time permits I'll have a look atmy references to see if I can find anything to support or deny your thesis. 

Kind regards,

Sandro

Gentlemen,

I had to search again for the photo of Bauer von Bauerntal as I had not 'saved' it.  Picture is on the Austrian State Archives site.  As you can see the signature doesn't match.

I have also added a photo of FML Rudolf Obauer von Bannerfeld , but once again I don't think so.

A search on-line has provided little information on Tit. GM Anton Bauer and it appears he was not recalled during the war. That leaves GM Ludwig Bauer von Markaszeg (no picture).  But why would a Hungarian speaking Officer leave a dedication in German?

There was also an Oberst Alois v. Bauer (no photo) who was pensioned in 1915, and is not listed in Antonio Schmidt- Brentano's work on Austro-Hungarian Generals. So I think he can be ruled out.

Your assistance to date is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ian.

Bauer von Bauernthal, Viktor.png

Obauer von Bannerfeld, Rudolf.jpg