News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gallipoli Star small size

PREM

Hello !

I bought this Gallipoli star. What do you think about her? It has a reduced dimension (about 40 mm), looks good in my opinion, but I prefer to ask. The seller stated that this is the so-called "Prinzengröße". I am asking for an opinion.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Pardon, but that's nonsense. There is a huge difference between pieces that were made in the old days to be purchased and worn by actual awardees, and pieces made in the past few years, with the only purpose to deceive(!) collectors. Yours is one of the latter category, unfortunately. I have one alike, in my "poison cabinet".

:whistle:

Based on these photos, you can actually suspect that it is a fake. But it looks a little different live. From the opinion of which I consulted this jewelry product from the years 1920-1930 of the twentieth century. what would be the point of faking the whistle in a reduced size and additionally the star shows signs of enamel repair. Everyone, of course, can judge what they think, but the truth is that only Turkish stars are truly original and the rest are jewelry equivalents made in different periods. I'd love to see your ,,poison cabinet" stars ?

Hi,

"... but the truth is that only Turkish stars are truly original and the rest are jewelry equivalents made in different periods."

Is this meant for pieces like yours in "Prinzengröße", or is this also meant for all the pieces in the original size?

Uwe

All changed dimensions of the badges are jewelery pieces from what I found and read. Also jewelery items are those in their original dimensions not produced in Turkey, but produced until the Second World War. Modern copies are in standard star size.
    Reduced and enlarged stars were produced in the 20-30s of the 20th century.
    Obviously, this is the information I got, and I do not insist that there is no other explanation. There are many puzzles with this star ?

On 07/09/2020 at 10:05, PREM said:

what would be the point (...)

The same point as always: To screw collectors, and to make money. In the past ten or fifteen years, prices for Ottoman awards were absolutely skyrocketing, and the high demand - and prices! - created a legion of fake stars, in several sizes and different qualities.

To be honest, I'm not sure if a reduced size of this award was ever made back in the days. I cannot remember one authentic piece (and no, yours won't change my mind). Oversized examples are well known and established, of course. Whoever told you all recent fakes are standard size only apparently doesn't study the fake market or the forums carefully enough. Especially oversized pieces are offered and sold regularly.

On 07/09/2020 at 10:05, PREM said:

I'd love to see your ,,poison cabinet" stars ?

You're welcome! I'm sometimes buying fakes, knowingly, to study how they are made...

R02393 - 03848 b2.jpeg

R02393 - 03848 c2.jpeg

Edited by saschaw

In fact, the star is much like mine in a smaller dimension. All in all, it looks interesting, if it's really a fake, it's hard to honor my collection, I didn't overpay much for it  v?

Thanks for help ?

I'm uploading some better photos, it actually looks similar to yours .....

DSC04670.jpg

DSC04674.jpg

Thanks for the additional pictures, PREM. I agree both our stars are the same variation. I could find one more of these on ebay, sold some weeks ago by cph70. This is one of the well known sellers of dubious pieces. In fact, I have never seen any of their auctions that I felt comfortable with. And this is just one of dozens(!) similar German ebay sellers.

cph70_1.jpg

cph70_2.jpg

cph70_3.jpg

Edited by saschaw

• 2 weeks later...
    On 08/09/2020 at 18:09, saschaw said:

To be honest, I'm not sure if a reduced size of this award was ever made back in the days. I cannot remember one authentic piece (...) 

Our forum, with all its older entries, is such a wealthy treasure of information. Browsing old threads, I actually found an authentic reduced size Turkish war medal! It has been shown by our dear member Avşar İbar more than twelve years ago. No wonder I couldn't remember ever seeing one...