News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Feldflieger cloth arm badge Reihenbildzug 3

Hi all,

being a little sick and bored at home I decided to search through my pictures and found one I'd like to share with you - it is a Feldflieger from the Reihenbildzug 3, dated 25.3.1918. There are no medals, no weapons, no helmets and no death heads, but I like the not too common cloth arm Badge and the overall good quality of the image (a post card to a befriended family, sent with easter greetings). Hope you like it too.

Cheers

ArHo

2020-03-08 20.46.33.jpg

2020-03-08 20.47.18.jpg

Edited by ArHo

Glad you like it too, Prussian! I almost overlooked it on first sight - but now I like it all the better :-)

I had never heard about the Reihenbildzüge before, there seems to be almost no literature available...

Cheers

Very nice photo. I´m not sure, actually, if that badge was officially issued.

Reihenbildzüge were few and far between. I know of 9. Their purpose was to help fabricate large maps by a special aerial-photographic technique, that "scanned" the landscape from above photographically. The photographic stripes/rows (=Reihen) were then assembled / combined to form a large scale photographic overview that formed the basis for mapmaking.

Hope the description was sufficently clear. I provide an example from  my collection. This photo originated with Reihenbildzug 3. Note the stripes that indicate the Reihen (=rows). Souilly is 16km  southwest of Verdun.

GreyC

169834627_xSouilly_Flugplatz_Reihenbildzug3_hohe1500Br50.thumb.jpg.de08920b5838fe1caefd61138dd7123d.jpg

Edited by GreyC