News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting photos medal awardees from The Netherlands

I love seeing photos of interesting awardees of Dutch awards, orders and or medals... no restrictions on the type of award. 

Of course I could start with a soldier getting the highest award but I think this one is really nice. The medal is a  Silver medal of the Order of Orange-Nassau

NL-HaNA_2.24.05.02_0_025-0307_1.jpg

And Indonesian fighter receiving The Cross for Courage and Fidelity in 1950 for his service against the Japanese occupation. This cross is the second highest award of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, preceded only by the Military William Order. The cross was awarded to (and is still worn by) natives of the Netherlands East Indies that showed exceptional display of bravery and fidelity. It is the highest award this man could have received.

Semarang 1950.jpg

Edited by OvBacon

1957 Indonesia (The Dutch East Indies) two men are awarded with the Dutch Life saving medal (Honorary Medal for Charitable Assistance) for rescuing survivors from a shipwreck. The front man also has a "Star for Loyalty and Merit"

1957 gouverneur van Nederlands Nieuw-Guinea, dr. J. van Baal (links) reikt koninklijke onderscheidingen uit aan drie van de redders, die vlak na de ramp met de „Neutron%22 overlevenden uit het water haalden.jpg

Edited by OvBacon

Not sure if anyone is really interested in this but hey I'll do it for my own amusement anywayzzz

This is Ms. B.J. Fick-Gemmeke, the first woman receiving the Military William Order (After Wilhelmina who received it from her daughter Queen Juliana). 1951.

Koningin Juliana reikt de Militaire Willemsorde uit aan Mevrouw B.J. Fick-Gemmeke uit Wassenaar. Zij is na H.K.H. Prinses Wilhelmina de tweede vrouw die deze onderscheiding ontvangt Nederland Amsterdam 28 februari 1951.jpg

This is definitely one of my favorite images.... It shows a junior white dutch soldier talking to an Indonesian soldier who just received the MWO. 1947

KNIL militair met onderscheiding Militaire Willemsorde praat met een militair van de 7 December Divisie februari 1947.jpg

Edited by OvBacon

• 2 weeks later...

What I find interesting about this photo is that there are 24 medals awarded to men and only 3 to women. This is an image a town-hall where the major is awarding medals during the annual "ribbon rain" where Dutch some citizens receive medals for public service etc...

NL-HaNA_2.24.01.05_0_933-9658.tjp.jpg