News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1866/ 1870 Hessian Prussian medal bar

Picked this up in ebay thought it was neat ! 
    I assume a hessian medal 1866 but could be earlier?

steel medal on combat ribbon ( I believe for troops on the border of France ?  ) I forget !

I had to put a Kaiser medal that was missing on it . 

28CD3943-FE5F-4F81-88D7-DE2CB65A952B.jpeg

10834883-8510-4E10-AAA9-63DF8E3E37D4.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Good one, and it has been worth to be restored - or refilled, if you like that term better!

:P

On 03/08/2020 at 23:51, scottplen said:

I assume a hessian medal 1866 but could be earlier?

While the medals looked all the same, this is clearly not the group to a veteran of the Napoleonic era, and neither do I see anything indicating active service in 1848 or 1849, like a long service decoration. Furthermore, it seems to me Hessen-Darmstadt's soldiers weren't involved in Schleswig-Holstein, but in Baden only in those years, so we'd have to expect a Baden 1849 Gedächtnismedaille, the so called Brudermordmedaille.

On 03/08/2020 at 23:51, scottplen said:

steel medal on combat ribbon ( I believe for troops on the border of France ?  ) I forget !

There was a total of 341,949 steel medals on this ribbon awarded, to active serving soldiers that did not cross the German-French borders, but stayed "at home" and cared for the garrisons and such.

Edited by saschaw