News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DDR Border Post Marker Sign

Hi all,

First all, let me say that I had to "borrow" a couple of pics from Grenzer.com, an excellent site on the Grenztruppen der DDR, the DDR border and just about anything you'd want to know about same.

First off, here's what we're looking at... I believe these are 2nd generation DDR border post signs:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now I post these here because several months ago I was lucky enough to get ahold of an excellent copy of one of these signs:

IPB Image

And here is an original:

IPB Image

I'm hoping to eventually be able to do a full scale display with manequins dressed in Grenztruppen uniforms and equipment standing along the border with one of these posts and my sign up at the top just as you see in these pictures. It's way off in the future but the dream is there. :rolleyes::cheers:

I'd also eventually love to obtain a Soviet counterpart to this sign.

Dan

Hi Dan ,

Interesting i,ve never seen these before , did the West German side have anything similar ?

Grant

To the best of my knowledge there were warning signs when you approached the border, but nothing like the DDR Grenzschild shown here. Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Guest Rick Research

What is the difference in the metal used and the reverses between an original and a fake?

I notice what appear to be either "plugs" in the fake from being cast from an original that had nail or screw holes (?) or these are results of the casting process on the fake not visible on the original:

[attachmentid=35827]

Hi Dan ,

Interesting i,ve never seen these before , did the West German side have anything similar ?

Grant

Hi Grant,

Hope this is okay in this instance... here's a link to the Grenzer site... it's excellent! Kudos to those who created it and hope they don't mind this little bit of extra exposure.

http://www.grenzer.com/Bordmark.htm

I came on this when I myself was trying to find examples in my research before purchasing the DDR sign. They also show BRD signs which are plain in the extreme compared with the fancy DDR and even fancier Soviet examples (will post in a sec.).

But this site goes into how the Grenztruppen operated, how the border worked, the in's and less frequently outs of it all and in general the history of the whole thing... escapes, funny and scarey moments, etc. It's all there. A great resource for anyone intro'd in the DDR or more specifically their border service and the cold war in general.

Enjoy! :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

I am looking forward to seeing your new display!!

Hi Paul,

Actually so am I! :lol: Now it can happen quicker if any of the members would care to donate a minimum of one or better still two manequins, preferably poseable with a realistic head and hands... as well as a couple of sets of boots. Then I'll be able to quickly get in gear and put my uniforms on them, their equipment and then do the rest of the display. :rolleyes::lol:

Seriously though, until I can afford those crucial items it's gonna be awhile, especially on my current salaries and on my rather meager collecting budget. But it is a dream I want to work towards down the road. :D

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

What is the difference in the metal used and the reverses between an original and a fake?

I notice what appear to be either "plugs" in the fake from being cast from an original that had nail or screw holes (?) or these are results of the casting process on the fake not visible on the original:

[attachmentid=35827]

Hi Rick,

Again many thanks on the help with that key/corkscrew translation! :beer:

Okay... now we get into the nitty gritty... I too noticed the "plug" marks which I also assume are from the casting. However on the back it's blank except for an embedded wire for hanging.

IPB Image

Here are two original examples:

IPB Image

IPB Image

But still no signs of anything to explain those "plug holes" so must be from the casting process.

However, I think it's still an excellent copy and at $25 I think a bargain in the extreme! :D Especially from what I hear an original costs! :rolleyes:

It's cast iron and was made in Germany and shipped over by the original owner. It's approx. 8" X 10" and weighs 4 pounds 9 ounces. The original owner painted it with a heat treat aluminum finish which looks great.

He said the originals due to the poles they were mounted on were known as Parrot Poles... which if you check out the pics of the actual poles I posted originally you'll see why the name fits. :D

I'm not sure what the originals were made out of... probably something cheap, easy to maintain and which was either rust proof or could be made so. I'd think aluminum but just not sure.

Anyhow hope this helps. Now I'm off to post the Soviet example. :D

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Hi all,

Well, this certainly raised some interest... which is what I always hope to do in my posts. As due to some of the questions asked, and since I also didn't know much about these until I did the research in preparation for buying mine I thought I'd post a Soviet example.

IPB Image

IPB Image

These were made out of thick copper... although from the pics the sign seems alot thinner overall than the DDR example. Looks like the painted much of the seal in a silver color. Wish I could have snagged this one off Ebay but it went for over $100 and at the time I just couldn't swing that, as much as I wanted to. :( Would have made a nice set with my DDR example.

Here are some more detailed shots:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I don't have any more info on this sign and sadly haven't found any pictures of them in use... perhaps one of my fellow members could dig around, obtain :ninja: and provide some? :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are still tons of these to be found along the old Soviet border :ninja: as I can only imagine they've not had the time, money or manpower to replace them all with a newer version... so perhaps more will eventually hit the market, hopefully at a price all of us can afford. There had to be a gazillion of them and knowing the Soviets they were probably posted every two feet! :lol:

So hey guys... if any of ya'll happen to be, say... walking along a particular stretch of border :ninja: and happen to "find" any of these laying about and say, happen to be able to stuff a few in your handy dandy knapsacks... just don't forget old Hauptman and send me one... puleeeeeese!!!! :rolleyes::lol:

Seriously, I do hope more turn up... it's a fine looking sign and would be a great addition to any Soviet or cold war collection.

Dan

It's cast iron and was made in Germany and shipped over by the original owner. It's approx. 8" X 10" and weighs 4 pounds 9 ounces. The original owner painted it with a heat treat aluminum finish which looks great.

They were made of aluminum, I have a high quality cast amuminum copy which is much thinner than the original. It also has drilled holes in each corner for mounting. Kevin

They were made of aluminum, I have a high quality cast amuminum copy which is much thinner than the original. It also has drilled holes in each corner for mounting. Kevin

Assuming mine is different... pulled the info from his original auction. But either way it's a great piece. :D

Hey, how bout some pics of yours? Would love to see! :love::cheers:

Dan

VERY NICE! :love::love::jumping::jumping::jumping: And those mounting holes actually make more sense to me then what I have on mine. Am assuming on the originals they had bolts that ran through the post and into the back.

Deeply appreciate you showing your's. If ya ever want to part with her let me know... wouldn't mind bookends! :rolleyes::cheeky:

Dan

• 9 months later...

And here is an original:

OriginalDDRsign1.jpg

I'm hoping to eventually be able to do a full scale display with manequins dressed in Grenztruppen uniforms and equipment standing along the border with one of these posts and my sign up at the top just as you see in these pictures. It's way off in the future but the dream is there. :rolleyes::cheers:

I'd also eventually love to obtain a Soviet counterpart to this sign.

Dan

Hello Bryan, hello to other members... I am new here, coming from WA and the French speaking forum

http://grenztruppen.forumactif.com

Dan, if you have a close lookt at the picture you have posted, you will find out it is the schield I have in my collection. I was lucky to get it when it was for sale on ebay... here are more pics of it...

I am about to receive very interesting pictures regarding those schields... will come back with them when they get here !

Cheers

Olivier

14cgpdv.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...

QUOTE(Rick Research @ Apr 23 2006, 12:49 )

[attachmentid=35827]

Hi Rick,

Again many thanks on the help with that key/corkscrew translation! beer.gif

Okay... now we get into the nitty gritty... I too noticed the "plug" marks which I also assume are from the casting. However on the back it's blank except for an embedded wire for hanging.

DDRBorderMarkermine4.jpg

Here are two original examples:

DDRBorderMarkerOriginal3.jpg

DDRBorderMarkerOriginal2.jpg

But still no signs of anything to explain those "plug holes" so must be from the casting process.

However, I think it's still an excellent copy and at $25 I think a bargain in the extreme! biggrin.gif Especially from what I hear an original costs! rolleyes.gif

He said the originals due to the poles they were mounted on were known as Parrot Poles... which if you check out the pics of the actual poles I posted originally you'll see why the name fits. biggrin.gif

I'm not sure what the originals were made out of... probably something cheap, easy to maintain and which was either rust proof or could be made so. I'd think aluminum but just not sure.

Anyhow hope this helps. Now I'm off to post the Soviet example. biggrin.gif

Thanks! cheers.gif

Dan

Does anyone have any idea what and original is worth?