News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here we have an ordensspange belonging to a pre-war cavalry officer of 2. Hannoversche Dragoner-Regiment, Nr. 16. 

The group includes:

• Iron Cross II Class
    • Hamburg Cross
    • 1912 General Honour Decoration
    • 1813-1913 Regiment Centenary Medal
    • 1914-1918 Regiment Medal
    • Military Merit Cross III Class (Austria)

Little is known about the recipient, other than that he was from Hamburg (the bar carries a makers label from Hamburg), was a pre-war serving soldier, and survived until at least the early 1920s. 

Below is a brief history of the Regiment, as well as a biography of their service history during the Great War.

pic.thumb.jpg.ac12d29229d36bca14952508d5965185.jpg

2. Hannoversche Dragoner-Regiment, Nr. 16: 1813-1913

The Regiment was formed in 1813 during the Napoleonic Wars, and fought at Waterloo in 1815. As a British territory, it served under the Union Flag, and named The Prince Regents Hussars. Later converting to a Dragoon Regiment (Kron Prinz), they fought Prussia during the 1866 War, losing after Langensalza. After Hanovers incorporation into the German Empire they adopted the title 2. Hannoversche Dragoner-Regiment, Nr. 16. They later served in the 1870-1871 Franco-Prussian War. 

Kaserne_Drag_13.jpg.1493bb64c38bf7c22ff7716e803044f6.jpg

Luneburg: The location of the Regiments HQ.

2. Hannoversche Dragoner-Regiment, Nr. 16: 1914-1919

1914-1916: Flanders & Russian Poland

With the outbreak of the First World War and mobilization, a sixth squadron was set up in the regiment, and the Regiment was divided into two semi-regiments (1st, 3rd and 5th squadron, 2nd, 4th and 6th squadron). These were assigned to the 17th and 18th Divisions as divisional cavalry. The units crossed the Belgian border near Liège in the Xth Army Corps and participated in the advance through Northern France. After the withdrawal from the Marne in November 1914, the 1st half-regiment was transferred to the Eastern Front to Russian Poland, where it remained until the end of 1915. In the West, the second half-regiment provided railway and canal protection until 1916.

1464172977.jpg.f2fd385f367782b8774497b404ae62ad.jpg

2. Hannoversche Dragoner-Regiment, Nr. 16, possibly during the Great War

1916: France & Romania

After the return of the 1st half-regiment from the East, the regiment was reunited and used for field work in the occupied territories of France. Then the Regimentverband was dissolved again and distributed the individual squadrons to various battlefields, where they were dismounted and used as infantry or as mounted rear-area security. 

The 6th squadron took part in the campaign in Romania in late 1916. The Military Merit Cross III Class was possibly issued at this time, as in December 1916 Franz Joseph authorised crossed swords to be worn on the ribbon.

In January 1919, the regiment returned to Luneburg in an escadron manner, was demobilized and dissolved until 15 March 1919.

2. Hannoversche Dragoner-Regiment, Nr. 16: 1919-1939

Two Squadrons under Bothmer were re-formed into Freikorps von Hndenburg on 8th March 1919, and operated mainly in Pomerania, and in March 1920 in Hanover during the Kapp Putsch. Freikorps von Hindenburg consisted of:

25 officers, 167 Unteroffizierre, 573 men, 139 horses and 10 vehicles

1 Sturmbtl., die Eskadron von Bothmer, 3 Inf.-Komp., 1 MG-Komp., 1 MW-Komp., 1 Schwadron, 1 Nachrichtenzug, 1 Rekrutendepot.

1707290111_hindenburg003.jpg.a8dac2d91c43668f1fff82197ae8584a.jpg

On March 10 1920 Eskadron von Bothmer were recieved by von Hindenburg on celebrating the units first anniversary.

In June 1921 Eskadron von Bothmer had been engaged in fighting in Obersilesia.

On 1 September 1921 the two squadrons of Eskadron von Bothmer disbanded and were incorporated into the Reichswehr. 4th Squadron joined 13th (Prussian) Cavalry Regiment in Luner, 3rd Squadron continuing the tradition of 2 Hanover Dragoon Regiment Nr. 16. 13th Cavalry regiment was dissolved in 1939; its squadrons sent to other cavalry reconnaissance units.

1304870866_pv_hus3.jpg.e2c0eaf8a934eaee2f066f391b50730a.jpg

Unveiling the 2. Hanoverian Dragoon Regiment Nr. 16 memorial, 17 September 1922

I hope you enjoyed this little piece & feel free to give me any feedback below! 

4 minutes ago, bolewts58 said:

Here is the sleeve badge of the Freikorps Feldmarschall von Hindenburg.

737276156_FreikorpsFeldmarschallvonHindenburg.thumb.jpg.f111c49703dea81fd437cbe8ae567b7a.jpg

Blooming marvellous! 
    I came across a description of it online, but seeing it is much better :)

9 minutes ago, bolewts58 said:

Officer of Freikorps Feldmarschall von Hindenburg wearing the sleeve badge.

1292606392_FreikorpsFeldmarschallvonHindenburg_officer.thumb.jpg.c56385bc9caae2759c89cb9d3c5a428c.jpgCracking photo! 

I wish I knew the recipient of my group (the one thing with German groups). 

2 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

I have a few pre-1933 medal bars made by Ulrich of Hamburg.  I have also had the opportunity to closely examine several other medal bars made by Ulrich which are not in my collection.  The hardware and the backing material along with the zig-zag-edge are consistent with Ulrich's earlier bars.

Award ribbons in positions 2, 5 and 6 are definitely pre-1945 ribbons.  Award ribbons in positions 3 and 4 are definitely post-1945 ribbons.  The edges of the EK2 ribbon are too pixelated and/or out-of-focus for an accurate determination of age.  A photo in higher resolution would have to be posted.

One thing I can say about Ulrich is that this firm was very careful about mounting the medals so the bottoms of all the awards lined-up in a beautiful, straight line.  The medal bar posted above does not exhibit this feature. 

Also, Ulrich's bars typically have very carefully folded, neatly overlapping, tightly mounted ribbons that exhibit consistency in their mounting technique, unlike the medal bar above.   

One small correction:  medal # 5 is not a regimental medal;  it is a Weimar era veteran's association membership medal.  Very often, we see a metal clasp mounted to the ribbon of this medal indicating the regiment to which the veteran belonged during the War.

It would be interesting to learn where this medal bar was acquired.   

Well, it may have been partially remounted later down the line. 

I can’t remember where it came from. Might have been a dealer mate of mine.