Hi All,

I thought trying to translate cursive French was problematic... then I met cursive German.  Can anyone help translate the general details for this soldier?  Many thanks! 

12348678-EF88-4A5E-BEC4-4772DE5B885F.jpeg

661DDC90-CE53-4141-81AD-7361F1F9FCDA.jpeg

7AA01AFD-B810-49E3-93E7-3CA3A832EDEE.jpeg

970D158B-A8AA-4E23-9743-8763F8E098B8.jpeg

99071DAD-6706-422D-8D4E-A8931887B1FA.jpeg

3C40FE06-577A-44BC-BE93-88794D3E7BBA.jpeg

82504619-068E-4179-B2BA-AEBCF5F6ABEB.jpeg

The soldier's name was Josef Paul Warzecha with the rank of Grenadier (Private).  No promotions were recorded prior to the end of the War. 

He was classified under Pay Group 16, which was the lowest pay grade in the Wehrmacht.  

He served in the 4th Panzergrenadier Ersatz Bataillon with the 6th Panzer Division deployed on the Russian Front.  Members of his batallion were sent to units on the front lines to replace fallen and wounded soldiers as required. 

He was hospitalized in late December of 1944. 

You haven't posted an important page that most collectors look at first: "Auszeichnungen".  It lists the awards he was entitled to wear.  I think it's on page 22.  Plus, there's a section which might go into further detail about his military service record.

One thing I will say about this guy... he was so proud of his military service that he purchased a great-looking Waffenrock with his own money.  You can see him wearing the Waffenrock in the photo.    

Edited by Simius Rex

Waffenrocks were typically private-purchase items.  If a military tailor had the opportunity and was in possession of the materials, I would imagine a Waffenrock would be available for anybody willing to pay him to make one.

On 30/03/2021 at 00:27, Mark McM said:

Hi All,

I thought trying to translate cursive French was problematic... then I met cursive German.  Can anyone help translate the general details for this soldier?  Many thanks! 

My German is a bit rough and abbreviations are a pain but I'll give it a try.

First lines on page 8a:
Ist(?) uber erhaltung(?) van Waffen und Gerat am 2.11.44 belehrt worden
Leutnant und Kompanie Fuhrer

Translates to something like: has received instructions on how to use the weapon and equipment
after having been presented with the weapon and equipment

Lazarett page:
Reserve-Lazarett
Neuwied 23.Dez.1944
Res.Laz.Linz.a.Rh.
Teillaz. [...] a.Rh. 30.Dez.1944

3rd and 4th lines are:
Reserve Lazarett Linz am Rhein
Teillazarett [...] am Rhein 30 december 1944

Page 8b:
5 [...] 2 [...]
1F. [...] 1 Gasplane m. Tasche
[...]erhalten: Klappen m. [...], [...]

[...]probe: 22.9.44

Page 8b lists the equipment he got. The Gasplane mit Tasche is a gas cape and pouch. I'm not sure what "Klappen" are. Also, the rest of the writing eludes me. Mayby someone else can add to this.

1 hour ago, drspeck said:

My German is a bit rough and abbreviations are a pain but I'll give it a try.

While details of the equipment he was issued are interesting, the question asked was to give general details about this soldier which was already provided in Contribution # 2 above.  

The really IMPORTANT entries as they pertain to the issued equipment and to this soldier have yet to be interpreted.  This is where others could be extremely helpful.

There are 3 entries where equipment issued to Grenadier Warzecha were crossed-out:  1.) his M98 Mannlicher rifle, 2.) his M84/98 Bayonet and 3.) his gas mask.  Underneath the crossed-out entries, one sees entries made in pencil.  I have posted below one of the pages with a crossed-out entry for reference.

I am hoping that the first abbreviated word is not "Gefallen" or "Gestorben" which of course means he likely died of his wounds in the hospital.  But that would be confusing because typically a diagonal red line was drawn across the cover and/or the first page of a Soldbuch for a soldier who was KIA.  I can't make out the other words.  Maybe some other collectors will chime-in.

Soldbuch Page.jpeg

Edited by Simius Rex

Those are ranks and signatures - Gefr (Gefreiter) and then a signature followed by Uffz (Unteroffizier) followed by a signature. 

If he was killed or died of wounds it wouldn't be entered under a weapon issue.

8a:
Ist über Erhaltung von Waffen und Gerat am 2.11.44 belehrt worden
Leutnant und Kompanie Fuhrer

8b:
5 Klarscheiben 2 Verbandpäckchen
1 F. Filter 1 Gasplane mit Tasche
nicht erhalten: Kappen mit Halter, Entgiftungsm(ittel)

Gasraumprobe: 22.9.44

17.9.44 Putzzeuggeld von RM 5,- gezahlt

The 3 deleted items > it is always meant gestr(ichen) = deleted:

gestr. SanUffz (signature)

Uwe

Edited by speedytop