News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Where can I find a miniature of a grand officer of the Star of Ethiopia?

JohanH

Hello!

I recently purchased a miniature chain to a highly decorated Swedish chamberlain who received the grand officer of the Star of Ethiopia in 1924. 

Unfortunately this miniature is missing from the chain and I would like to complete it. 

I have tried google but I haven't found any miniatures that fits. So if anyone can help me in any way it would be greatly appreciated. 

BR
    Johan

Johan,

Occasionally OSE miniatures appear on E-Bay France.

From the date you mention the Chamberlain would have received the order during Ras Tafari's visit to Sweden. As the Regent to Empress Zawditu he visited Europe in 1924. During this tour there were various exchanges of orders - Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg and United Kingdom. He visited Sweden, 7-13 June – an exchange of awards was made with King Gustav V, 1858-1959, – I have no details but it is known that Ras Tefari received the Order of the Seraphim.  I believe the King would have received the Order of the Seal of Solomon but have to date no firm evidence.

I attach a picture of the GO OSE awarded to the Joseph Bech the Prime Minister of Luxembourg in May 1924 - on display at the Luxembourg City Museum. The GO OSE is almost certainly by Bertrand of Paris and I would suggest the Swedish Chamberlain would have received the same model. I believe the King would have received the Order of the seal of Solomon but have to date no firm evidence.

Regards,

Owain

Ethiopia OSE Bech Luxembourg 1924.jpg

Thank you Owain for the tip!

I shall keep an eye out on ebay.fr if one turns up now that I know what to look for. 

Haile Selassie received the order of the Seraphim on June 10 1924. 

Below is a photo of the Order of Salomon that King Gustaf V received. It is currently in the royal collection (Livrustkammaren). 

Salomos orden.jpg

Johann,

Thanks for the image  - interesting to note the badge is different from the one given to King Badouin which is a more skeletal design.  Is there an image of the breast star?

I have tried the Livrustkammaren website but can find no images of the King's awards.

Thanks,

Owain

Johan,

Your query concerning the miniature has resulted in a revealing great images  - for which I am most grateful. I am working on a history of the Order of the Seal of Solomon and these images are most welcome.

My sincere thanks to you.

Kind regards,

Owain

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning,

This group, from Ambassador Mesfin Abebe is in my collection and consists of the following:

·         Ethiopia – Order of the Star of Ethiopia – Commander (3rd Class)

·         Ethiopia – Order of Menelik II – Officer (4th Class)

·         Ethiopia – Emperor Haile Selassie I Silver Jubilee Medal, 1955

·         United Kingdom – The Royal Victorian Order- Knight Commander (2nd Class)

·         Japan - Order of the Rising Sun – Grand Officer (2nd Class)

·         Federal Republic of Germany – Order of Merit - Grand Officer (2nd Class)

·         Republic of Sudan – Order of the Republic – Commander (3rd Class)

·         Brazil – Order of the Southern Cross – Commander (3rd Class)

·         Greece – Order of George I – Commander (3rd Class)

·         France – National Order of Merit – Officer (4th Class)

·         Yugoslavia – Order of the Yugoslav Flag – Officer (4th Class)

·         Jordan – Order of Renaissance – Commander (3rd Class)

·         Czechoslovakia – Order of the White Lion – Commander (3rd Class)

In my research correspondence with a colleague, Greg Copley, President of the International Society for the Imperial Ethiopian Orders, allowed him the raise the matter with H.I.H. Prince Ermias Sahle-Selassie Haile-Selassie, Honorary Patron of the Society, and who, “asked me to pass on his remembrances of Ambassador Mesfin Abebe which you may wish to quote in your story and to add some texture” to the research on this group.

“Mesfin Abebe was Imperial Ethiopian Ambassador to Greece in the early 1970s, and he would receive my Mother and I when we visited Athens. In 1975, when the Dergue's revolution began to bite, he moved with his family to the United Kingdom, where he was granted political asylum. He was a devout monarchist, and in exile in the UK he met frequently with my Uncle, the late Emperor Amha Selassie I, who was also in exile at that time in the UK. He was a highly-respected figure, and was good friends with Maj.-Gen. Nega Tegegne (who fought the Dergue with the Ethiopian Democratic Union forces) and Maj.-Gen. Nega Haile-Selassie (who was a major figure in suppressing the coup attempt in 1960), as well as Ras Andargachew Mesai, who was the husband of Prince Tenagne-Worq, the Emperor's oldest child. He was also a devout Orthodox Christian. Without being overtly political, he was — as someone so opposed to the Dergue — always of counsel to those fighting the communist Dergue.”

“He was a quiet, dignified, sophisticated, and well-educated man. He was gentle and soft-spoken, but with a good sense of humour. He was highly social and sociable. He believed in service and duty. He was a career foreign service officer within the Protocol Department, which accounts for his trips accompanying His Imperial Majesty on the many State visits on which he was decorated. He was fluent in French, Greek, English, and, I believe, Italian, in addition to Amharic. I have lost track of his family, but I believe that he was survived by his two daughters.”

Regards, Owain

Hello Owain, 

Ambassador Abebe's group certainly has found an excellent home.  Thank you for sharing this enlightening information!   

Edited by 922F
    splcheck

The marks on the ring are Swedish hallmarks and maker marks. As far as I have found, only 8 swedes received the grand officer of the Star of Ethiopia. 

Here it is mounted on the chain with the other miniatures. 

The one missing is probably the commemorative medal of the kings jubilee 1928. I think I have a spare mini of that one somewhere. When I find it I will mount it to complete the chain. 

P1050302.JPG

Thank you Owain!

The chain belonged to chamberlain Gregor Carl Georg Aminoff. Born 1872 and died 1934.

I also have the miniature bar that belonged to his son Georg Aminoff. 

Gregor Carl Georg Aminoff.jpg

The photograph is from the collection of the Swedish war museum. 

I have thought about the same thing myself and I don't think there are two miniatures missing. 

All of Aminoffs awards is on the chain except for a commander grade of the North star order. But he would wear that one around his neck so that might explain why it's not on the chain. 

I think that the brighter part of the chain where it looks like a miniature once was is the place where the two chains have been soldered together. There is a similar bright part on the other end of the chain too. 

And finally, if there has been a bracket for another miniature, then it must have been cut of by a jeweller or similar. My guess would be that a person in Aminoffs position would have the chain totally re-done rather than just cutting of a bracket.