News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2 hours ago, Langers said:

I’m guessing that there’s a backstory here?

None that I'm aware of.  Only in a humorous fashion we are trying to find other uses for fake medals.  Sadly, they do come up very regularly and the in the past it was suggested that they would be better used as; inexpensive collector's copies, costume jewelry or on a reenactor's uniform. 

Don't take it personally.  I once bought a Naval Observer's badge that I was sure was real.  I even bought it from a recognized dealer and it also had maker-marks and purity marks that would convince any lightly knowledgeable person.  It was a bad badge and I had to limp back to the seller to get my money back.

12 hours ago, Claudius said:

None that I'm aware of.  Only in a humorous fashion we are trying to find other uses for fake medals.  Sadly, they do come up very regularly and the in the past it was suggested that they would be better used as; inexpensive collector's copies, costume jewelry or on a reenactor's uniform. 

Don't take it personally.  I once bought a Naval Observer's badge that I was sure was real.  I even bought it from a recognized dealer and it also had maker-marks and purity marks that would convince any lightly knowledgeable person.  It was a bad badge and I had to limp back to the seller to get my money back.

I’m with you, thanks for filling me in!

it raised a red flag what with the Berlin 1914 markings (seemed very unlikely), but thought I’d double check. 

It’s probably my naïveté, but it really bothers me that people produce fakes to sell for profit. The whole early post-war replacement issues is fine to me, but people nowadays dumping some modern trash in the garden to weather then sell as original is just downright awful. 

1 hour ago, Simius Rex said:

Even if you don't know what an original looks like, the date of "1914" is a dead giveaway because these Marine Luftschiffer badges were introduced after WW1 in the 1920s... that, and the screwy looking English queen's crown hallmark.

Res ipsa loquitur