News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does anyone know if there is a generally accepted transliteration for Халхын Гол ? I've seen it a variety of ways. What is preferred on this forum? Does anyone care?

At any rate, here is a group from one such veteran, including some documents. No badge, sad to say, or any idea where it went.

Pretty interesting anyway, at least it is to me. Note the order numbers in the book.

Chuck,

First I love the uniform!! :jumping::jumping: As for the translation with my limited knowledge which is zero I used the Cyrillic Alphabet Gerd pinned to this forum and the translation came out like this: Khalikhyn Goli. That's letter for letter. Is it an accurate translation?

Doc

This is his December 1945 diploma from, as best I can translate it, the Military Commanders Faculty of the Order of Lenin Academy in the name of I. V. Stalin, with the specialty of Tank Commanding Officer.

The certificate, which is undated, unsigned and otherwise unattributable, was folded inside the diploma. Machavariani is a fairly common Georgian name. I translate the certificate as follows:

Colonel Machavariani Semen Mikhailovich

Participant in the battle against the Imperial Japanese Military at Khalkhin-Gol from 11 May to 23 August 1939 as commanding officer of the 207th Separate Tank Battalion of the 17th Army.

Participant in the Great Patriotic War on the First Baltic Front during the period 6 April to 22 October 1944 as commanding officer of the 43rd Tank Regiment, 3rd Guards Mechanized Corps.

As always, I welcome better translations than my own.

Chuck

Guest Rick Research

Tell me that color is in NO way accurate as to what the tunic actually looks like! Rather than the dark sage green of an M1943 kitel, it looks like USAAF "pink" ! :speechless1:

Tell me that color is in NO way accurate as to what the tunic actually looks like! Rather than the dark sage green of an M1943 kitel, it looks like USAAF "pink" ! :speechless1:

No, it isn't pink, but it is an unusual color, at least to my eyes. If you examine the fabric with a 10x glass you can clearly see several colors of thread that sort of blend into a kind of faded light olive color. I don't know if this is "gabardine wool" or not, as I can't really picture what that is. The threads are not uniformly one color, dark sage or olive green or otherwise. I can't find any marks inside. That's about the best I can do for a description.

Chuck-

This one really needs to be researched. I think that the two screwback Red Banners might be added to the document. Note how they were put in at the same time, in rather unsual ink, with rather sloppy handwriting for the number... And then note how the last digit of the first award earned has been altered?

The first Red Star entry dates from about December 1947... So the book being issued in January of 1948 is pretty much "spot on", but the top of the "7" appears to have been erased to be a "1941" instead... I also find it odd that the two sb Red Banners would be added after his late 1952 award long service Red Banner.

Could be legit, but I think it might be worthwhile getting the research just to confirm...

Dave

Edited by NavyFCO

• 4 weeks later...

While I was in Tbilisi recently, we re-contacted this gentlemen's heirs and asked them if they might, just possibly, have anything else we could include in this group. They came up with his officer's military bilet (very interesting), his pension book, his 50-Year Communist Party Member badge (he joined in 1931) and document, his Veteran of Military Labor medal and document and his Excellent Civil Defense medal and document. I'll share them here, of course, but I warn you, there just might be too much detail here to keep you interested.

Here's the first image of the military bilet and pension book.

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

With any luck, this will be a somewhat enlarged and enhanced image of that single small photo. His Khalkhingol badge is evident.

His family told us that he was arrested shortly after the war and imprisoned for a year, 1945-46. He was then released and rehabilitated and his record was cleared. When the government returned his awards, according to the family, one Red Star and his Khalkhingol badge were missing and he never replaced them.

Chuck