News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

AO unknown ribbon

Explorer

I have never seen this before. This ribbon was used with combattant versions of the Franz Josef Order, the Military Merit Order, the various bravery medals and the the Cross of Merit. It is not from the MMO, or the bravery medals, so scratch those. A gold crown alone could represent the Golden Cross of Merit with Crown, but this was not worn with a war decoration (the green laurel wreath), so scratch that. That only leaves the Franz Josef Order with War Decoration in the lowest class, since this is not a kleine decoration (mini of a higher class worn on the ribbon in the field). This is only a guess, but it is the best one I have.

Dan Murphy

• 3 years later...

Very nice ribbon! Congratulations! These sewn ribbon miniatures are very rare versions. In my opinion this is the ribbon of a military merit medal. The crown used to be this one. I think in this case the laurel wreath hasn't got any meaning, beacuse the ribbons shows that this is a war time decoration. The Order of Franz Josef has another miniature (the small version of the cross or the star by the upper half of this family of decoration). These kind of ribbons were private made ribbons, which could be bought in bigger manufactures by the officers pleasure.

Regards,

Bazsi

Very nice ribbon! Congratulations! These sewn ribbon miniatures are very rare versions. In my opinion this is the ribbon of a military merit medal. The crown used to be this one. I think in this case the laurel wreath hasn't got any meaning, beacuse the ribbons shows that this is a war time decoration. The Order of Franz Josef has another miniature (the small version of the cross or the star by the upper half of this family of decoration). These kind of ribbons were private made ribbons, which could be bought in bigger manufactures by the officers pleasure.

Regards,

Bazsi

I like it, I have a similar one for the MMO and I've been looking for one of these for bronze and for silver for a nice tunic I own.

:cheers:

It seems that the laurel wreath was there first, the crown was made "over it"...

Laurel wreath is surely for Military Merit Cross, crown for Military Merit Medal... I have never seen a combination of those two...

Laurel wreath is surely for Military Merit Cross, crown for Military Merit Medal... I have never seen a combination of those two...

I think the same too. It is a very interesting ribbon.

Hello,

a fine field ribbon bar piece indeed.

Many years ago, a friend of mine identified it as the ribbon bar to the Gro?e Milit?rverdienstmedaille type awarded under Emperor Franz Josef. A really scarce medal, awarded to the highest-ranking officers (with a couple of exceptions) and I've seen this type of ribbon quite seldom.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang