News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

Today I want to share with you a small group from my collection. This group is not very impressive, but for me it is special because it was belonged to my grandfather. I do not remember him very well, he died when I was 9 years old. He didn't tell me much about the war, so from my grandmother (she is still alive) I only knew that he was in artillery during the war. Finally I made a research one year ago and found more about him and his military career.

This is his picture in a rank of Senior Lieutenant. I have another picture of him in the rank of Captain (his last rank berfore retirement), but on that one he didn't have actual awards - just a ribbon bars.

Award citation for Bravery Medal

Name: Chubaryh Nikolaj Ivanovich

Military Rank: Sergeant

Position: Senior scout, Independent Battery of Artillery Commander of 68th Rifle Corps

Born: 1924

Nationality: Russian

Party membership: Communist Party Candidate since April 1944

Participation in war: In Great Patriotic War from December 1942 to February 1943 ? Voronezh Front, from July 1943 to October 1943 ? Stepnoy (Steppe) Front, from October 1943 to February 1944 ? 2nd Ukrainian Front, from February 1944 to present time ? 3rd Ukrainian Front.

Wounds or contusions: Heavily wounded on February 11, 1943 ? Voronezh Front

In Red Army: since 1942

From what Military Registration Office was recruited: Ukolov RVK, Voronezh Region

Previous awards: Not awarded

Home address: Voronezh Region, Ukolov subregion, Bolshev village, mother Chubarova Alexandra Yakovlevna

Short description of merits:

Scout comrade Chubaryh is always carrying out his duties on frontline observation point of 68th Rifle Corps Artillery Commander. During the battle for the town of Bobrinets he personally reconnoitered and pinpointed enemy artillery battery, which was destroyed later. On March 23, 1943 comrade Chubaryh displayed bravery and initiative during forced crossing of South Bug River near the village of Bugsky (Arbuzinsk subregion, Odessa region). He helped to build up a raft and transfer our communication facilities to western bank of the river near the village Konstantinovka.

Deserves a state award - Bravery Medal.

Commander of Independent Battery of Artillery Commander of 68th Rifle Corps ? Captain Ioffe.

April 26, 1944

Artillery Commander of 68th Rifle Corps ? Guards Colonel Balayev.

April 29, 1944

Top Secret, Copy # 3

Battle Order of Artillery Commander of 68th Rifle Corps # 02/N

Front-line Forces April 30, 1944

On behalf of the Supreme Soviet Presidium, for the exemplary execution of High Command Military orders and displayed bravery and courage, I award

BRAVERY MEDAL

2. Sergeant Chubaryh Nikolaj Ivanovich, Senior scout of Independent Battery of Artillery Commander of 68th Rifle Corps.

Artillery Commander of 68th Rifle Corps ? Guards Colonel Balayev

Artillery Chief of Staff of 68th Rifle Corps ? Colonel Slatin

Here are his official certificates of participation in some military operations. I have about 8 of them, so I'll post only couple of them as an examples.

This one is for participation in the battle for capturing Romanian city and port Constatsa in August 1944.

Edited by MONDVOR

Another certificate for the participation in the battles for break-through of heavy fortified enemy defence lines south to the city of Bendery (now in the country of Moldova) in August 1944.

Awards record card

Name: Chubaryh Nikolaj Ivanovich

Military Rank: Senior Lieutenant

Sex: Male

Born: 1924

Place of birth: Voronezh Region, Ukolov subregion, village Y. Redkodub

Party membership: Communist Party Member since August 1944

Education: High School

Nationality: Russian

In Red Army: since June 1942

Position at the time of receiving award: 39th Independent Radio-engineering Battalion of Air Defence, Company Commander Deputy for Political Matters

Position at the present: Same as above

Home address: Belorussian SSR, Minsk region, town of Slutsk, Proletarskaya street 70.

This is it, thanks for your attention. Also I have a group photo of cadets from Kiev Artillery School and my grandfather is among them. If somebody interested I can also post this photo, but I have to scan it first.

Many thanks. Evocative, historical, and personal.

You have reminded us of the truth that lies behind the paper, metal, and cloth that we study. I, too, wish you could have spoken at length with your grandfather. I feel the same about mine. When memories go, they go, and all we have are the documents, whether on paper or in phaleristic form.

You have done him a true service.

:beer:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind words. Unfortunately, I missed another family relic. My great grandmother (from mother's side) was awarded with Lenin order. She was a high school principal for many years and probably was awarded in 1950th for a good service. I remember that order, I saw it many times when I was a kid. My great grandmother passed away when I was 5 or 6. Some years later we moved to bigger appartment and the order was sold out to partially cover the price we payed. Mother told me it was sold for 300 USD - very big money for USSR at that period. They sold it with a box and order book, so nothing left. I don't even remember the number. For five last years I'm trying to find it to redeem, but with no luck. I know only the name - Stroynikova Mariya Andreewna. But most likely the order was used either for jewellery black-market production or for dentistry (golden crowns or bridges).

But I still have some hope. Who knows...

Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind words. Unfortunately, I missed another family relic. My great grandmother (from mother's side) was awarded with Lenin order. She was a high school principal for many years and probably was awarded in 1950th for a good service. I remember that order, I saw it many times when I was a kid. My great grandmother passed away when I was 5 or 6. Some years later we moved to bigger appartment and the order was sold out to partially cover the price we payed. Mother told me it was sold for 300 USD - very big money for USSR at that period. They sold it with a box and order book, so nothing left. I don't even remember the number. For five last years I'm trying to find it to redeem, but with no luck. I know only the name - Stroynikova Mariya Andreewna. But most likely the order was used either for jewellery black-market production or for dentistry (golden crowns or bridges).

But I still have some hope. Who knows...

Just fantastic to have a Family group. :beer: I have the War Merit Cross 2nd class with swords, which was awarded to my mom, but no documents or photos.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Fingers crossed, that the Lenin to your Great Grandma will pop up somewhere one day.

Gerd