News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Crosses as bravery awards to women

Gentlemen,

it has been discussed since years 'n years, if there had been iron cross awards to women in WW1 and 2. Well at least I have found a very interesting short article in a newspaper from Austria from 1915 claiming that at least 3 Germany ladies haven been awarded with the cross of iron for bravery deeds! The Newspaper is called Wiener Hausfrauen and you might translate this to: The housewives of Vienna! To be honnest I can't tell you how reliable a newspaper with the Name: The Housewives of Vienna is, but in issue no. 567 from 7th of february 1915 they reported that 3 German Ladies had been awarded with the IC2.

The Names are:

• Elfriede Scherhans (nurse)
    • Frida Gessert (nurse)
    • Dr. Reimer (chauffeur)

The first two were awarded for being nurses with no fear and being extraordinary brave, the last one for being a chauffeur for a division on the eastern front.

In the same issue the newspapers presented a photo of Elisabeth Lorenz who was awarded the golden merit cross on the ribbon of the bravery medal of Austria. She was married to a doctor who volunteered for working in a field hospital. She followed him with a special permission of the archduchess Blanka and drove a car to collect the wounded soldiers even under hostile fire! (Issue 564 from 3rd of january 1915)

As said, I have no clue about the trustworthieness of the two small articles from this austrian newspaper, but nevertheless I am amazed about this finding and hope that you are as well. 

wiener Hausfrauen 4.jpg

wiener Hausfrauen 3.jpg

wiener Hausfrauen 2.jpg

Elsiabeth Lorenz 2.jpg

Elsiabeth Lorenz 1.jpg

wiener Hausfrauen.jpg

Elisabeth Lorenz.jpg

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

Hello BalckcowboyBS,

very interesting find! - thanks for sharing.

As for WW2 there are at least 30-40 documented cases of women having been awarded the EK - most prominent being Hanna Reitsch.

I heard about a Belgian nurse working for a German hospital (no not he Red Baron nurse) in WW1 and receiving an EK - but I do not know if this account is verified.

Regards

v.Perlet

7 hours ago, v.Perlet said:

I heard about a Belgian nurse working for a German hospital (no not he Red Baron nurse) in WW1 and receiving an EK - but I do not know if this account is verified.

Regards

v.Perlet

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/allied-spy-got-german-iron-cross-medal-m.html

Edited by graham