News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross 2nd class 1870 reduction

VFMR

Dear mates,

I'm thinking to buy this cross, it looks good to me, but I can not recognize the maker mark. What do you think? (it's about 35mm, Prinzengrösse).

Thanks for your help, best regards

ek1.png

ek2.png

ek3.png

ek4.png

hello VFMR,

speaking only for myself: I wouldn't purchase it.

The figures of the number 1870 are not matching to a real sized Typ A or Typ B, neither in regards to an overlapping 8, nor a flat 8.

A skilled jeweler -  someone like e.g. GODET "maybe" manufacturing such an item from around 1900 or rather afterwards would know about these features.

I also would fully agree with VtwinVince comments, whereas the comment regarding markings would refer to original sized EK's.

Regards

v.Perlet

Edited by v.Perlet

This type is well-know and widely considered fake. If you search for "small crown fake" on this forum, you'll find a very educative thread here. There has also been some reference to these fakes in this long obsolete thread. Most striking feature is their die-struck and painted, though stepped core. Besides that, they're around as 1813, 1870, 1914 and even 1939 crosses... and all are from the same tools.

:whistle:

On 19/02/2022 at 07:23, v.Perlet said:

The figures of the number 1870 are not matching to a real sized Typ A or Typ B (...)

A reduced size cross, a miniature, or any private purchase piece would not necessarily share the design features of the award type. In fact, they tend not to do so. After all, every tool maker, as an artisan, has their own small characteristics of design...

On 19/02/2022 at 07:23, v.Perlet said:

I also would fully agree with VtwinVince comments, whereas the comment regarding markings would refer to original sized EK's.

As a non-Native speaker, I might have gotten you wrong here, but: Full sized 2nd class crosses from the 1870 type are usually not maker marked. This is true for 100 % of the awarded crosses, and more than 95% of later private purchase pieces. Thus, a maker mark on a 1870 2nd class cross is generally perceived as a "red flag".

;)

Hello saschaw,

It was in reference to an original sized EK2 1870 - which does not behold markings, as for a Miniature I wouldn't know, since I have never encountered one. - therefore I forwarded that I fully agree with Vtwin Vince comments, but regarding markings not appearing on a miniature EK2, I can only fully agree towards this comment in regards to an original sized EK2.

Assuming that e.g. Godet might have made Prinzengroesse EK70' - I could well imagine that the numbers and other details would have been made as correct as possible.

But anyhow you already forwarded that "This type is well-know and widely considered fake".

Regards

v.Perlet

Dear friends, thank you very much for your replies, they were well founded and I'm very grateful about the links of old threads to learn mroe about, I never deal before with reductions and not much with the 1870 EK's. 

That is what i love from this hobby, you always have to learn something new ;)

See you in the forum!

• 1 month later...

his type is well-know and widely considered fake. If you search for "small crown fake" on this forum, you'll find a very educative thread here. There has also been some reference to these fakes in this long obsolete thread. Most striking feature is their die-struck and painted, though stepped core. Besides that, they're around as 1813, 1870, 1914 and even 1939 crosses... and all are from the same tools.

I agree with this comment.

On 22/02/2022 at 01:42, v.Perlet said:

According to the following research - No

http://www.medalnet.net/Eisernes_Kreuz_1870.htm

No sure if I got you wrong (again), but: Do you claim this article refers to authentic 1870 crosses bearing several different makers' markings? I thought I knew Mike's work well, but couldn't find such information. Could you maybe correct what I might have misunderstood here, please?!

:wacky:

On 01/04/2022 at 11:03, Graf said:

I agree with this comment.

Thanks, Graf, I'm glad to hear you agree!

Edited by saschaw