News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with everything Andreas said. Furthermore, given this Major is wearing an unusual uniform that might be attributable to a specific unit, he could probably be identified with some more information. Is it known when and where this photo was taken? If so, it's probably just a quick look in the appropriate rank list!

:whistle:

He wears the uniform of a Prussian General Staff (or possibly War Ministry) Major. If one assumes that the photograph is taken around 1900/01 (the date of the last award on the rear of the card, I can offer just one suspect. Notwithstanding the later ballpoint annotations on the rear, I can find just one General Staff Major in 1901 with this combination of awards; Major Otto Jochmus à la suite to the General Staff and an instructor at the War Academy.

Regards

Glenn

I am aware of the writing on the back. But as I said in my earlier post: 

21 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Notwithstanding the later ballpoint annotations on the rear, I can find just one General Staff Major in 1901 with this combination of awards

Anyway, it seems the Berlin adressbuch got his first name wrong. The later Generalmajor Jochmus was Philipp Friedrich Wilhelm August.

Regards

Glenn

On 06/03/2022 at 18:46, scottplen said:

2nd guy ?, large silver Austrian bravery ?

I honestly have no idea what he's wearing, but to me, it certainly does not appear to be any Austrian bravery medal - too small for a big one, and too big for a small one. Also, the ribbons don't seem to fit.

My best guess is this are two pre-war awards, given he's wearing the EK in his tunic's button hole. A full picture that also shows his helmet might give us clues. I guess he's an NCO in the Royal Saxon army?!

On 27/03/2022 at 08:30, Glenn J said:

I am aware of the writing on the back. But as I said in my earlier post: 

Anyway, it seems the Berlin adressbuch got his first name wrong. The later Generalmajor Jochmus was Philipp Friedrich Wilhelm August.

Regards

Glenn

But this is something I won't follow, a Burkhard isn't close to Philipp Friedrich Wilhelm August so I dare to say that we haven't got a hit here. 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

5 hours ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

But this is something I won't follow (...)

No need to argue, Gentlemen. The writing is much younger than the picture, and I have seen mislabeled pictures before. One of my favorite photos titles the Grand Duchess of Baden as "Queen of Karlsruhe" (sic). As long as we won't find another possible suspect for these awards worn on this exact uniform, I'm going with Major Jochmus as well...

• 3 months later...