News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question concerning the Feldbinde of Dragoon officers during wartime

Gentlemen,

A question has puzzled me for a while now, so I'd like to hear some opinions from you guys. As we all know, the Feldbinde became part of the Dragoon officer's service uniform at the end of the 19th century and was worn into WW1. The buckle was either gold or silver plated depending on the tunic button colour (same for the leather Feldbinde during wartime). However, 1915 regulations stated the new Feldbluse of all dragoon regiments (except the Garde and Rgt.17) to have white buttons; so was the Feldbinde buckle also followed the changes? Although the Feldbinde appear lesser in the late war period, but they still can be seen in worn from time to time. I can't find specified text about this in my reference books. I hope someone can help me with this.

Many thanks,

Jvpi

As for now, I put a Feldbinde with silver buckle on my Dragoon officer's Feldbluse, matching the button colour. Photos attached below:

BDF23436-C47E-4A89-9077-EE935627DD98.jpg

F1278C6E-AD23-4289-AADA-B3B23974F0BF.jpg

14FF4879-ACD9-465E-9CEF-34241E572BFE.jpg

D92A4E0A-0661-4F29-B368-14A837D2B328.jpg

70FACEA6-0D99-4873-A5BE-A116807ADE51.jpg

Hi,

Welcome on board.

It seems to be logic that the colour of the buckle change with regulation. You can use a leather binde with painted buckle, and it will be easier to wear on your uniform.

Christophe

Hello Christiphe,

I will check some old illustrations to see if I could find some clues. A leather Feldbinde would indeed be much better! Have a nice day.

Jvpi

Very nice display… that’s a lovely tunic. I leather feldbinde would be more appropriate though it’s possible you could find a photo of this style in use with bluse, idk. 

here’s my Baden Dragoon with leather belt. Buckle is that for Baden/Oldenbur6B86434E-FA05-4F79-AEFD-04B52D697CA3.thumb.jpeg.40df6dd8ced110720e959858c869d712.jpeg

Hello ccj,

There are few examples of prewar Feldbinde worn with the Feldbluse; but certainly as walking-out dress. I believe M1915 Feldkoppel with a matted silver buckle would be the best option here?

Unfortunately I still can't find any answers regarding the gold/silver plated problem. If the buckle was later hand painted to field grey then I guess it doesn't matter what's the original colour is.

Jvpi

wery326.jpg

The Feldbinde made of metallic thread ,leather and cloth, was reglamented for use in campaign to carry the pistol  in its holster , the field glasses and the map case , the sword was carried suspended from a internal belt .German Officers of all branches went to the Battlefield in 1914 wearing Field grey uniforms with the metallic lace feldbinde with clasp in button colour metal . soon  it was realized the incovenience of the feldbinde highly visible so it was replaced by one made of leather with the same clasp but getont that is sightly oxidised . but the lace feldbinde was retained for wear out of the Battlefield . important to note that many uniform pieces were sustituted by others , but the older ones were authorized for use until total wear. 

Hello Bayern,

Thanks for the information. I don't know whether or not they continued to produce the metallic lace feldbinde after the introduce of the leather one. Normally the old one just continued in use, like you said until total wear. However if they do make new I think the gold plated buckle must be replaced by a silver one, in the dragoon's case? Although seems not likely but I guess it's possible. 

Jvpi