News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

City of London Police uniform collar numbers

42 minutes ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

The photo appears to show Metropolitan Police officers, not City of London.

City of London Police have always used brass/anodised buttons and numerals on their uniforms.

Dave. 

I concur, these are definitely not City of London bobbies, you can tell by their helmets. 

2 hours ago, filfoster said:

Dave: Thanks; the photo was from a CLP uniform display online. Didn't catch the helmet plate. 

So, the numbers would have been worn from the 1880's on, at least?

Yes, they have always worn brass fittings on everything right from their formation. Whistle chains, buttons, numerals/letters, belt buckles, rank insignia, the lot. Nothing white metal or chrome. It is what they are famous (certainly in the UK) for. They have always been "different" and have always stood out like a sore thumb for their unique uniform.

Whilst all the other forces in Scotland, England & Wales wear black & white diced cap bands the City Police wear red and white. 

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Dave: Thank you!  I  will post a pic of my replica display when it's done, probably in a couple of months. This has been more difficult to accomplish than I first anticipated but worth it. I've learned lots, thanks to you and the other Forum members. 

• 1 month later...