News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identity of medal in a group

On behalf of a colleague, I'm trying to identify the 2nd medal from the right in this group.
    The photograph is of Chief Inspector William Swanson Sutherland of Lanarkshire Constabulary. He retired c. 1946/47.
    The medals as L-R - 1) WW2 Defence Medal, 2) 1937 Coronation Medal 3) ??   4) King Hakon VII of Norway Freedom Cross
    The medal ribbon appears to be tricolour and the medal has a crown which look rather Danish in shape.
    Any help would be appreciated.

C Insp Swanson medals.jpg

C Insp Swanson.jpg

The photo does not appear to be of a member of the Lanarkshire Constabulary. That force had quite distinctive cap badges consisting of a double headed eagle from formation in 1857 through to demise in 1975. They never wore at any time the Scottish National Cap Badge.

A search of the Home Office Medal Roll of the recipients of the 1937 Coronation Medal shows that at the time of the award, William Swanson Sutherland, was serving as a Sergeant in the Glasgow City Police. In all probability he spent his entire career with Glasgow. He is not, as already stated, wearing Lanarkshire uniform. 

One other point I should make is that during this man's service there was no such rank as "Chief Inspector" in Glasgow. The rank between Inspector and Superintendent was "Lieutenant".  

I regret I'm not able to identify the medal you ask about. 

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

23 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

The photo does not appear to be of a member of the Lanarkshire Constabulary. That force had quite distinctive cap badges consisting of a double headed eagle from formation in 1857 through to demise in 1975. They never wore at any time the Scottish National Cap Badge.

A search of the Home Office Medal Roll of the recipients of the 1937 Coronation Medal shows that at the time of the award, William Swanson Sutherland, was serving as a Sergeant in the Glasgow City Police. In all probability he spent his entire career with Glasgow. He is not, as already stated, wearing Lanarkshire uniform. 

One other point I should make is that during this man's service there was no such rank as "Chief Inspector" in Glasgow. The rank between Inspector and Superintendent was "Lieutenant".  

I regret I'm not able to identify the medal you ask about. 

Thank you,  I did wonder about Lanarkshire.  I have both the sterling silver and later style double headed eagle cap badges, but wasn't sure about what officers wore.  I am going on what I was told and will correct my colleague.  I didn't know about the Lieutenant rank in Glasgow though.  Learn something every day.

On 17/05/2022 at 12:12, JohanH said:

Hello!

It could be the Pro Dania medal. 

Thank you Johan,  That looks like it.  Your welp is much appreciated.

Norman

Thanks to everyone.  I wonder what this officer was involved in during WWII to be awarded King Christian X of Denmark's Medal in Commemoration of the Liberation and King Haakon VI;s Freedom Cross, awarded to Norwegian or foreign military or civilian personnel for outstanding achievement during war. It is ranked fifth in the order of precedence in the Norwegian honours system.

Thank you David.
    This is from Alastair Dinsmore at the Glasgow Police Museum, despite what the family says about Lanarkshire  - William Sutherland born 1891 and joined Glasgow Police 1913. He was in charge of the Aliens Dept of Glasgow Police during WW2 and it was for this work that he was awarded the medals.

Norman,

Very interesting. I've no doubt the family will be indebted to you for clarifying the details of Mr. Sutherland's service, and in particular for giving an indication as to why he was awarded the "foreign" medals.

Dave. 

According to Harald Hallbergs book about Norwegian decorations a total of 1300 freedom crosses were manufactured and 198 went to the British personnel. So it's not the most common decoration.