News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

King Charles III Coronation Medal

Hi all, I understand there will be a coronation medal next year. Among others, I hear it'll only be the youngest soldier, the RSM and the CO of every unit getting it. Will those troops on duty at the coronation be likely to get it? And will volunteers (SJAB, Red Cross, etc) on duty get it also?

It appears that the date will be June 3 to mark the 70th Anniversary of his mother's coronation. Given the increase in the numbers given for each Jubilee (the awards for the 1977 Jubilee were positively miserly, my father was fortunate enough to receive one on his retirement after 50 years in the Civil service, much to the chagrin of many of his colleagues). The Platinum on the other hand was given out by the truck load. I hope that there is some selectivity in the award of Coronation medal so as to make it a valued and treasured award.

P

As a thought, and as a nod to the supposed streamlined future of the Monarchy, perhaps it should be limited to those actively involved in the organisation of the Coronation rather than, as Paul correctly notes, the truckload distribution of the Platinum Jubilee....or is this being a bit mean? Owain

Don't forget in 1977 the Royal Mint had a monopoly on UK official medal production, cost was not the overriding concern, but quality. By the Golden Jubilee, due to EU regulations, contracts could be submitted by various firms, and cost became an issue. I remember visiting the Central Chancery about 20 years ago to give my opinions  on the tendered designs for  a British Order, of which there were two British firms and one European company in the final, one British firm was up to standard, the other made a schoolboy error in the design, otherwise the quality was acceptable. The European version looked like something one would find in a Lucky Bag, obviously from the costing point of view the latter was as "cheap as chips", thankfully the  department awarding the contract chose the better, and most expensive, of the three, probably on the principle they were hoping to be awarded it on their retirement, so they didn't want a piece of crap, however costing is a factor that manufacturers have to take into account, rather than the best piece on design and artistic merit.

P

I think it's appropriate to limit award of a Coronation Medal to those actually present.

Jubilees are a bit different, in marking the monarch's service it is appropriate to mark the service of other public servants... although maybe a rather broader interpretation of 'public servant' but with more than a mere 5 years' service would be better!

The awards if Coronation medals have never been limited to just those present. Usually Mayors and Provosts  vc and gc holders and various officials of his majesty's dominions and overseas posessions and members of the royal household and those involved in policing the event and military in the Coronation procession.

Which I thinks is reasonable  Mayors, provosts, Dominion and overseas possession officals will all be in charge of organising coronatipn festivitiies in their area of remit. VC and GC winners just deserve it.

P

Speaking from the police perspective, I can tell you that for the 1953 Coronation each police force in the UK received an allocation of Coronation medals based upon the authorised establishment of the force. That does not mean that each member got one, it simply means that the Govt. allocated a certain number as a certain percentage (I don't know what that was) based upon the establishment. The decision as to who got the medals was left to the Commissioners/Chief Constables. 

Liverpool City Police, for example sent 1 Superintendent, 7 Inspectors, 16 Sergeants, 155 Constables and 2 Detectives as mutual aid to the Metropolitan Police. Making a total of 181. The Chief Constable subsequently received 150 Coronation medals for distribution to his force and I can tell you that of that number about 30 medals went to men who actually attended the Coronation.

A similar "system" was adopted in respect of the 1977 silver jubilee medals. Each force was given an allocation and the Chief Constable decided who got a medal.

So, if there is a restricted distribution of Coronation medals for King Charles, I would suggest that the police will be allocated along the lines of those set out above.

Dave.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

There are all sorts of rumours and conjecture bouncing round the place. But like with the Platinum Jubilee Medal, whomever is responsible for creating the criteria and the medal itself, they continue to play their cards very close to their chests. Which is somewhat frustrating, agreed. But none the less all will be revealed in due course, I am of no doubt.