News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

King’s Effigy on medals, to be issued imminently.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on another forum, thought it might be of interest?

Thread related to the new Border Agency LSGC. Although this medal was authorised earlier this year and draft images show it with the Queen’s effigy. It now appears that it won’t be issued until spring 2023, and will go straight to the King’s effigy…

Just seen a letter stating that the medal will start to be presented in Spring 2023 "...as soon as the portrait of the new King on the Medal has been confirmed and the Royal Mint has done its work.”

*Not sure about the choice in colours for the ribbon mind 🤢.

5C4613CB-C659-4576-B514-5CF3926BE29A.jpeg

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/820733/response/1975887/attach/2/67821 G Loughney Response.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

• 2 weeks later...
    12 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

If this link is correct, it would appear that medals bearing the King’s effigy have in fact now begun to be minted?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_New_Year_Honours

Does anyone know the exact date as to when these will physically presented? 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-year-honours-list-2023-home-office/new-year-honours-2023-the-kings-police-medal-for-distinguished-service-accessible?fbclid=IwAR2Qc27YBEeG527TUKCXsvon4nOzcL31izgiVETAFEFLZNJDzI3rlCbtY5Y

Look forward to seeing the first photos of this new medal!!

On 04/01/2023 at 09:50, Zulu_00 said:

Have heard that the BEM is the first medal with the CIIIR effigy but have not seen any yet. 

Looking forward to seeing this and indeed all the new medals, which will potentially contain the King’s effigy.

It is curious that all these awards have been  announced, yet no photographs appear to yet exist? 

I attempted to seek clarification from the Royal Mint under FOI request, and received a very curious response.

Which I don’t really understand? 

Dear FOI,

I qualified for my LSGC on the 14th October this year. My question is thus, given my qualification date, will my medal have our new King’s effigy on it, or our former Queen’s effigy?

Kind regards,
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

We don’t hold any further information in this regard unfortunately. It will be the Police, as issuing authority, who will, we imagine, have a policy on this so you may wish to direct your request to them.

Regards

FOI 

https://www.polfed.org/news/latest-news/2023/additional-service-bar-for-police-long-service-and-good-conduct-medal/

This paragraph is particularly interesting….

The Royal Mint is currently in the process of redesigning a number of medals to display the image of King Charles III which could lead to delay for those eligible for a bar.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 21/02/2023 at 16:01, Zulu_00 said:

Newly issued CD with an EIIR effigy.

Screenshot_20230221-155956_Facebook.jpg

This medal was posted on social media, it had been sent to a medal mounting company.

I thought it might be interesting for the following reasons……

The recipient is from CNC.

He qualified for his medal in December, and has recently been awarded it prior to him retiring.

Assuming that the correct criteria has been adhered to, and the application was made to the Royal Mint on or after the qualification date.

This would appear to be clear evidence of  (a) how quickly the RM can turn around medals when they want to,

and

(b) their currently still using the E11R effigy.

00C1BED5-FD3C-4146-8791-6BF56326C2C4.jpeg

The King has apparently made it known that stocks (of anything?) are not to be destroyed simply because they bear the image of the late Queen or her Cipher. They are all to be used prior to any new versions are produced bearing his image etc. He's told Royal Mail that they must use all their stocks of old issue EIIR stamps before commencing to use those showing his image.

It seems obvious that this also applies to medals.

"King’s Effigy on medals, to be issued imminently". This thread was started on 4th October 2022. I don't think so any time soon!

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

On 03/03/2023 at 09:44, Dave Wilkinson said:

The King has apparently made it known that stocks (of anything?) are not to be destroyed simply because they bear the image of the late Queen or her Cipher. They are all to be used prior to any new versions are produced bearing his image etc. He's told Royal Mail that they must use all their stocks of old issue EIIR stamps before commencing to use those showing his image.

It seems obvious that this also applies to medals.

"King’s Effigy on medals, to be issued imminently". This thread was started on 4th October 2022. I don't think so any time soon!

My understanding, was that any “stocks” of police LSGC’s held were limited, and surely exhausted by now? 

This article however, may go someway to explain the delays in the production of any new medals.

I appreciate that it’s a few months old now, and doesn’t explain why the production of coins by the Royal Mint was so prompt and apparently straight forward.

But it is still worth a read.

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/fe9e5791-1ea6-418d-a5ce-108f26760444

Coins, unless of an obsolete denomination are such that they tend to last and circulate for 60,70 or 80 years (and longer). So, they don't really fall into the same category as medals, stamps, badge and associated items of uniform. The mint presumably have a coin replacement/circulation policy which caters for a certain number of coins to be put into circulation each year. They presumably don't hold stocks and so to comply with their policy they would have to "mint" new coins. So, why not do so using a new die featuring the King's profile?  As a aside, such enquiries that I've been able to make with several police forces have confirmed that they have no intention of changing the cipher (where used) or crown on any of their headdress badges in the immediate future. 

Dave.    

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 27/03/2023 at 17:19, Cerrig-Man said:

I would suspect, that every day the Royal Mint dither, the bigger the backlog of medals is getting. Surely by now they should have started striking King's effigy medals? 

MOD Medal Office stocks of RN/British Army/RAF Long Service Good Conduct Medal bearing the effigy of the late Queen Elizabeth II - a Freedom of Information request to Ministry of Defence - WhatDoTheyKnow

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! At last.... :)

So, major update to my UK section - needless to say at the busiest time of the academic year - to make space for all the medals that will have a King Charles version ready for when they crawl out into public and I can find images that I can use.

17 minutes ago, Megan said:

Wow! At last.... :)

So, major update to my UK section - needless to say at the busiest time of the academic year - to make space for all the medals that will have a King Charles version ready for when they crawl out into public and I can find images that I can use.

My thoughts exactly!!!!

I understand that this BEM was presented to an old boy, for services to charity. Something along those lines anyway? It was presented to him a few weeks ago now, by all accounts. So with a bit of luck we’ll start seeing more over the coming weeks.

Will be interesting to see if the KPM and LSGC’s will start to be issued in time for them to be worn on Coronation day.