News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

King’s Effigy on medals, to be issued imminently.

Thought this might be of interest? 

I qualify for my LSGC on the 14th October and retire on the 31st October.

On the 31st August my HR department very kindly agreed to pre order my LSGC prior to my qualification date, so that I could be presented with my medal in my last week. 

A few days later, as everyone knows the Queen sadly passed away.

Today, I was asked to contact my HR department, upon doing so I was informed, that they were very sorry. But they had been advised that their request re my medal, had been declined. The reason being that the Royal Mint were currently processing all personal who had qualified for their LSGC’s prior to the Queens death. 

That all recipients after that date, would be awarded the new King’s effigy medal, and that as such my medal, fell into this category and as such would now not be ready by my final week. But would be forwarded onto me in 6 weeks.

Would be interested to hear, if anyone else has been told this?

The surprising fact seems to be that there are either no remaining stocks of the LSGC with the Queen's effigy, or a decision has been made to not use those remaining medals and to wait for the new version to be produced. It seems that even though virtually all of your service was under the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, your medal will not reflect that.

I personally would want my medal to portray the Monarch I served under, rather then her heir, excellent King though he will surely be. I am sure others will disagree, and even worse some may see the brand new King's medal as a chance to make a good sale while they are still a novelty...

50 minutes ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Thought this might be of interest? 

I qualify for my LSGC on the 14th October and retire on the 31st October.

On the 31st August my HR department very kindly agreed to pre order my LSGC prior to my qualification date, so that I could be presented with my medal in my last week. 

A few days later, as everyone knows the Queen sadly passed away.

Today, I was asked to contact my HR department, upon doing so I was informed, that they were very sorry. But they had been advised that their request re my medal, had been declined. The reason being that the Royal Mint were currently processing all personal who had qualified for their LSGC’s prior to the Queens death. 

That all recipients after that date, would be awarded the new King’s effigy medal, and that as such my medal, fell into this category and as such would now not be ready by my final week. But would be forwarded onto me in 6 weeks.

Would be interested to hear, if anyone else has been told this?

Gordon,

What a shame! I don't suppose there is very much you can do about it. The only consolation is that you will fall into an exceptional group of individuals who are the first to receive a LS medal with the King's head. At least you won't need to search for an example for your collection. From what you've said it seems that you were only able to achieve your 20 years qualifying service by the skin of your teeth. Thank goodness for that!

Dave.   

2 hours ago, dpk said:

The surprising fact seems to be that there are either no remaining stocks of the LSGC with the Queen's effigy, or a decision has been made to not use those remaining medals and to wait for the new version to be produced. It seems that even though virtually all of your service was under the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, your medal will not reflect that.

I personally would want my medal to portray the Monarch I served under, rather then her heir, excellent King though he will surely be. I am sure others will disagree, and even worse some may see the brand new King's medal as a chance to make a good sale while they are still a novelty...

The way it was explained to me was that there, was to be a clear cut off date. All those who qualified pre 8th September would be given an E11R, then post 8th would get C111R. I also understand that there our no physical stocks, they are produced on demand.

Not sure how I feel about it really, I joined the army in 1996, leaving and joining the police in 2002, so all but 1 month or so of my service was for the Queen. But having a King’s LSGC will be a novelty, especially so as it will be engraved in Welsh. I certainly won’t be among the ones who sell them off, of that I can guarantee you!!!

1 hour ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

Gordon,

What a shame! I don't suppose there is very much you can do about it. The only consolation is that you will fall into an exceptional group of individuals who are the first to receive a LS medal with the King's head. At least you won't need to search for an example for your collection. From what you've said it seems that you were only able to achieve your 20 years qualifying service by the skin of your teeth. Thank goodness for that!

Dave.   

Yes, as I say not sure how I feel about that. Will certainly post photographs when it arrives. I could have retired back in June but decided to stay on till October in order to qualify, wanted to have something metallic to show for 20 years service. 

The fact that you've been told by the HR Dept. that the medals are produced on demand casts a question mark over the info. given to you by "Liverpool Medals", that they are produced in bulk by the RM and then sent to another contractor for engraving.

It was always my understanding that they were ordered and produced by the mint on an as required basis. That was what I was told when I got mine in the 1990's. "The Secretary of State has approved the award of the medal which is being produced by the Royal Mint. When it arrives, I will arrange a formal presentation". My award was a "single" one for the force (Port of Dover Police). There were only one or two eligible there each year. 

Dave.

37 minutes ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

The fact that you've been told by the HR Dept. that the medals are produced on demand casts a question mark over the info. given to you by "Liverpool Medals", that they are produced in bulk by the RM and then sent to another contractor for engraving.

It was always my understanding that they were ordered and produced by the mint on an as required basis. That was what I was told when I got mine in the 1990's. "The Secretary of State has approved the award of the medal which is being produced by the Royal Mint. When it arrives, I will arrange a formal presentation". My award was a "single" one for the force (Port of Dover Police). There were only one or two eligible there each year. 

Dave.

The “as and when” required theory, certainly seems to be the case!

Interesting that so few were issued to the Port of Dover police. The intakes in NWP vary in size, mine must have been 20+ perhaps, back in October 2002, interestingly the intake before us was in August (not sure how many were in that intake), but they will have all qualified for the E11R version. My intake with be the first NWP one to have the C111R version, wonder if there’s a date certificate that accompanies it? 

Another point that I’ve been pondering will there be a subsequent additional effigy on these medals, once C111R has been formally crowned? 

Could it be that there may well in fact be C111R LSGC’s out there already, to officers who qualified for it on the 9th September, for instance? 

I doubt there being any in existence yet. His approved effigy has only just been released (in the last 10 days or so), and it's probably too soon for the dies for the medal to be sunk and for them to be struck. The RM will be up to their eyes in it, not just with the police issue but with others. I don't think the Coronation process will result in a further change to his effigy, so the first design will be it.

I got a certificate with mine. Ironically, it's not dated. Whether that's an accidental omission or what I don't know. I've not seen anyone else's certificate to compare.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

23 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

The way it was explained to me was that there, was to be a clear cut off date. All those who qualified pre 8th September would be given an E11R, then post 8th would get C111R. I also understand that there our no physical stocks, they are produced on demand.

Not sure how I feel about it really, I joined the army in 1996, leaving and joining the police in 2002, so all but 1 month or so of my service was for the Queen. But having a King’s LSGC will be a novelty, especially so as it will be engraved in Welsh. I certainly won’t be among the ones who sell them off, of that I can guarantee you!!!

Yes, as I say not sure how I feel about that. Will certainly post photographs when it arrives. I could have retired back in June but decided to stay on till October in order to qualify, wanted to have something metallic to show for 20 years service. 

Sounds like an awesome career. Congratulations. Hopefully one day I will get mine one day. I can see them being a thing of the past though at some stage as I can forsee a time where no one will stay as long as 20 years.

19 hours ago, Megan said:

All fascinating. I'm just thinking of how many medals will need to be updated on my website, and how long the new versions will start appearing so I can scuttle around begging for images!

Just been tinkering around, came up with this mock up of what the new police long service and good conduct medal could look like (please ignore the £5 bit, but I hope you get the idea). 

From a collecting point of view, it would be great if initial issues of the medal, were uncrowned, but then after the coronation they began issuing a crowned version. 

What I also find interesting is that upon the changing of effigy from George VI to Elizabeth 11, despite there being an overlapping period, between the queen becoming queen and subsequently being coronated, the medals have always been issued with a crowned effigy. 

C111R LSGC.jpg

Edited by Cerrig-Man

On a slightly related topic, it was stated in the latest OMRS journal that Special Constables have now formally been made eligible for award of the Queen's Police Medal (as well as their usual LSGC medal). Presuambly for Gallantry or Distinguished Service- now one of those would be an addition to a collection!!

This obviously really means the to be newly titled 'King's Police Medal' as although the decision has been announced for the QPM as it was, any recommendation for award will obviouly be under CIIIR.

9 hours ago, dpk said:

On a slightly related topic, it was stated in the latest OMRS journal that Special Constables have now formally been made eligible for award of the Queen's Police Medal (as well as their usual LSGC medal). Presuambly for Gallantry or Distinguished Service- now one of those would be an addition to a collection!!

This obviously really means the to be newly titled 'King's Police Medal' as although the decision has been announced for the QPM as it was, any recommendation for award will obviouly be under CIIIR.

Yes I would imagine the QPM will now become the KPM.

Although I don’t believe it is issued for gallantry anymore, I believe the QGM or indeed KGM is used in that instance. 

5 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Yes I would imagine the QPM will now become the KPM.

Although I don’t believe it is issued for gallantry anymore, I believe the QGM or indeed KGM is used in that instance. 

Feels very strange using KPM and KGM abbreviations. Just not used to it.

• 4 weeks later...
    On 10/10/2022 at 15:42, I_♥_Police said:

Feels very strange using KPM and KGM abbreviations. Just not used to it.

Am aware of a couple of forces, that have now changed their badges to C111R and a King’s crown. But as yet there has been no further, developments re medals, which I find strange. Surely plans must have been in place, for what was eventually to be an inevitable situation? Two months on, and no news. Not even with regards to miniature medals. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m reliably informed that Merseyside police officers, who qualified after the 8th September have also been informed that their, having to wait for King’s effigy LSGCs.

But by the sounds of it, the Royal Mint haven’t even started to mint them yet? So who knows, perhaps we’ll all get Queen’s ones after all? 

Interesting comment on another platform, made by a Metropolitan Police Officer

“My medal presentation with the Metropolitan Police this month has been postponed until January. The reason given being a mix up in the Home Office over engraving our medals, but I expect it is to prepare us for King Charles III effigy on the new medals. I actually Gordon we qualified pre September 8th, but there has been such a backlog because of the pandemic that we are only just catching up now. Since these medals are a gift from the Monarch, and not simply issued, I would suspect a line has been drawn, and from Jan 2023 all new long service medals presented in the MPS will have King Charles head on them.”

Anyone else heard this?

I do know that colleagues from my old force who qualified for their LSGC’s the same time as me, are yet to be contacted by HR to even acknowledge that they’ve qualified for theirs! I’m still to receive mine, although I was informed that I’d receive it by the end of this month (November)…….

8 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Interesting comment on another platform, made by a Metropolitan Police Officer

“My medal presentation with the Metropolitan Police this month has been postponed until January. The reason given being a mix up in the Home Office over engraving our medals, but I expect it is to prepare us for King Charles III effigy on the new medals. I actually Gordon we qualified pre September 8th, but there has been such a backlog because of the pandemic that we are only just catching up now. Since these medals are a gift from the Monarch, and not simply issued, I would suspect a line has been drawn, and from Jan 2023 all new long service medals presented in the MPS will have King Charles head on them.”

Anyone else heard this?

I do know that colleagues from my old force who qualified for their LSGC’s the same time as me, are yet to be contacted by HR to even acknowledge that they’ve qualified for theirs! I’m still to receive mine, although I was informed that I’d receive it by the end of this month (November)…….

what a fantastic achievement. Congratulations. Would love to see a picture of the medal and a picture of you in uniform as well as a career summary? Only if you feel comfortable of course, its just things like this are so interesting. 20 years in the job will soon be a thing of the past.

Actually on the topic of the previous comment, do we foresee emergency services LSGCs being reduced from 20 years service to 15 years or even 10 years in light of the average length of service changing as time goes on? And especially now that bars are sanctioned for the medals.

1 hour ago, I_♥_Police said:

what a fantastic achievement. Congratulations. Would love to see a picture of the medal and a picture of you in uniform as well as a career summary? Only if you feel comfortable of course, its just things like this are so interesting. 20 years in the job will soon be a thing of the past.

Thanks mate.

I will be sure to do that, when the medal arrives.

Here’s a picture of my medal ribbons, in the meantime.

F3E8876C-2578-4720-A81A-DD1F76A99FB6.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Zulu_00 said:

Actually on the topic of the previous comment, do we foresee emergency services LSGCs being reduced from 20 years service to 15 years or even 10 years in light of the average length of service changing as time goes on? And especially now that bars are sanctioned for the medals.

I don’t believe there will be a further reduction anytime soon, as there’s not long been one from 22 to 20. But who knows, what the future may bring. NZ Police only have to do 14 years for there’s! 

Inter changeable qualification criteria, now there’s an interesting concept….

33BFAB98-50AB-43AC-AC64-428FB74D4A9E.jpeg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

23 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Thanks mate.

I will be sure to do that, when the medal arrives.

Here’s a picture of my medal ribbons, in the meantime.

F3E8876C-2578-4720-A81A-DD1F76A99FB6.jpeg

I don’t believe there will be a further reduction anytime soon, as there’s not long been one from 22 to 20. But who knows, what the future may bring. NZ Police only have to do 14 years for there’s! 

Inter changeable qualification criteria, now there’s an interesting concept….

33BFAB98-50AB-43AC-AC64-428FB74D4A9E.jpeg

Thanks for posting. Apart from the LSGC and jubilees what are the ones at the top?