News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Godet Screwback

Hi all,

Just wanted to show my new Godet double screw-back. The “4” on the core differs from the usual Godet core. It resembles a Zimmermann core instead. I know that the companies shared parts - is this a hybrid? It is marked as a Godet should be, with a * to the second baseplate.

Andrew

8CB2E77E-792A-4BA1-BA6F-CE70074A95DC.jpeg

B65AE29A-29C0-4109-B562-630A4082EC80.jpeg

B6E3F14D-0381-4E41-8EFB-9D3A978A57FD.jpeg

F8520757-E140-4BB5-BEBF-0B7318EBB17A.jpeg

Edited by Droocoo

Thank you very much!

To my knowledge, Zimmermann and Godet had links during the Second World War. Did they also have a relationship during the First World War?

1. If so, what was the nature of this connection?

2. If they were only corresponding after 1939, can we date this cross to then?

• 3 weeks later...
    On 09/10/2022 at 19:11, Peter Cornwell said:

Maker unknown (to me at least). Along with several other makers, Godet are known to have used such screw fittings on their crosses but often with oval backplates. 

I agree.  The Godet I have seen were with oval backplates,

• 3 months later...
    On 07/10/2022 at 15:08, Droocoo said:

It is marked as a Godet should be, with a * to the second baseplate.

I'm not sure what this is based on, but I don't buy into it. For me this cross is a textbook C. F. Zimmermann, with totally no relation to J. Godet & Sohn. Their WW1 era EKs I know look completely different, and were made from (presumably) own workshop dies...

:blush:

4 hours ago, saschaw said:

I'm not sure what this is based on, but I don't buy into it. For me this cross is a textbook C. F. Zimmermann, with totally no relation to J. Godet & Sohn. Their WW1 era EKs I know look completely different, and were made from (presumably) own workshop dies...

:blush:

Spot on