News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee Medal for women

Preface: For the first time, I published a new article in this section. I mainly collected the order and medals of Germany and Austro-Hungarian Empire. These British medals were collected unintentionally and not intentionally. The following is a group photo of my British medal →

psc.thumb.jpg.8c79d655021c395d3a385e95c9256605.jpg

A few days ago, I received the bronze medal of Queen Victoria's 50-year accession to the throne. Does anyone tell me whether the box is original? And the number of women?

psc(1).thumb.jpg.a4eee86ece9bbfe560ba6275db723e9b.jpg

In fact, I want to collect the version for men, but I received two bows for women (received several times), although the number of them was less. PS If I break the bow and change it into a man's appearance, is that history?:ninja:

psc(2).thumb.jpg.233eff6a2c27aa40dade96b6757e4cde.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Overture,

“official jubilee medal of which over 4,000 were struck in bronze between 1887 and 1889” 

👉4,000

“The medals housed in red leather cases were issued…”

👉Red leather

Is yours leather ? 👍

I found this…

””This is the offical jubilee medal, made by L.C.Wyon after models by Sir J.E. Boehm and Sir F. Leighton, in 1887.
    Although it was the official jubilee medal of which over 4,000 were struck in bronze between 1887 and 1889, this was very poorly received. The portrait of the Queen after a model from the life by Boehm, was generally disliked. Wyon used the same portrait for the obverse of the gold and silver jubilee coinage, but it was so unpopular that a new portrait was incorporated from 1893 onwards - also engraved by Wyon but after a portrait by Thomas Brock, R.A.
    The medals housed in red leather cases were issued at the following prices: fine gold £13.13.0d; fine silver £2.2.0d; bronze 10/6d.

The jubilee was celebrated throughout the country. The festivities took many forms including local Fêtes, a yacht race round the island from Southend to Dover, bonfires, illuminations and a service of thanksgiving attended by the Queen at Westminster Abbey. The Queen also received 88,000 volunteers, the navy consisting of 135 vessels and 20,000 men. In Hyde Park a large number of poor school children gathered to watch balloons ascending and to receive gifts of bun, milk and a jubilee mug””

& personally…

I’d keep the ladies ribbon,

can’t be too many of those. 👍

cheers

tony

Me again..

was given to selected NCO’s, warrant officers and men of the Army and petty officers and ratings of the Royal Navy

There really can’t be many Women awards, I can’t find a number but the award criteria doesn’t offer the fairer sex much opportunity to get one…

I hope you didn’t chop that ribbon 1812

tony

The Golden Jubilee Medal was the first commemorative medal to be struck as we know it today – i.e., worn on the left breast suspended from a ribbon. The medal was instituted in 1887 by Royal Warrant as an awarded to participants of the 50th anniversary celebrations of Victoria’s accession to the throne.

The medal was struck in gold, silver and bronze, with the gold version awarded to members of the Royal family and their personal guests. Silver awarded to members of the Royal Household, government ministers, senior officials, distinguished foreign visitors attending the celebrations in June, 1887 and officers of the Army and Navy including those commanding the troops on the Royal route of the processions on the 21st June, 1887, and those in command of ships present at the Royal Review at Spithead. The bronze version of the medal was given to selected NCO’s, warrant officers and men of the Army and petty officers and ratings of the Royal Navy who took part in jubilee processions or who were serving in Her Majesty’s ships at the Royal Review at Spithead.