News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early Reichsheer Badges of Rank

I was researching some early Reichswehr organisational stuff and something struck me; one very rarely encounters images of members of the immediate post imperial German army and the provisional Reichswehr (especially senior officers) wearing the two variations of post war insignia as introduced by the republican government. An order of 19 January 1919 introduced the first pattern - based on blue cuff stripes for officers and blue stripes on the upper arms for NCOs. The second pattern consisting of matt silver cuff and arm stripes and shoulder cords was introduced per order of 5 May 1919. In fact an order of 22 February 1920 (see below) already declared that the badges of rank were "too indistinct and expensive" and would be replaced by the type "that had proved itself in the field". All further production of this insignia was ceased. It seems to me that many senior officers either were not photographed with the hated insignia or simply disregarded the order to wear it. In any case, the order of 22 February 1920 de-facto permitted the wear of the previous imperial shoulder boards and collar tress until the official reintroduction of shoulder boards per order of 22 December 1920. Does anyone have clear images of general officers wearing this insignia. Below is one of the very few I have seen: Bernhard von Hülsen.

Regards

Glenn

HlsenBernardFranzvon.JPG.092b5ed7056f623479675d8f8b5d8156.JPG

Uniform1920.thumb.jpg.0af952d0587d616eebb03dbe5e62be70.jpg

A beautiful and rare photo, thank you very much for showing it. 

You are looking only for photos of officers or any graduation.

Here I show a picture of a general with the rank insignia on his sleeve.

PAR 1919 GRAL R 00002 b.jpg

Thank you for that. That is the first example I have seen of a general officer wearing the Friedensheer insignia. Photos of  officers below the rank of general are more common but your photograph is a rarity! Given that he appears to be carrying an IOD 89, he is a General der Infanterie.

Regards

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...