News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/trois-policiers-portant-des-nouveaux-uniformes-news-photo/843728350

Saw this picture and found it interesting. I am aware in the 70s or 80s the Met produced an experimental type breast badge which was the armorial badge, the same as on the warrant card holders, with a flat surface  underneath for the epaulette number. According to the translation, these three are Met officers however I have never seen examples of the breast badges they are using, has anyone else? They don't look like the standard Met crest at all

Very interesting. Excellent detective work locating the image, which is entirely new to me.

For some inexplicable reason, the Metpol. Inspector on the extreme right is wearing on his breast the cap badge of the short lived Devon & Exeter Police (1966-1967). I'm attaching a photo of the small group of badges which were produced for that force. The collar badges were issued and worn. However, the cap badge was only worn by Special Constables and the numbered breast badge was not worn at all. To confuse matters further, the Coat of Arms is that of Devon County Council with no Exeter connection whatsoever.

I suspect that the Met. have used "sample" badges (not related to the Met.) simply to display the proposed uniforms. I've not been able to identify the badges being worn on the breast of the other two bobbies. However, the one being worn by the guy in the centre seems to be the collar badge of the Durham Constabulary, with a small number section fixed below it.

Dave.   

Devon & Exeter Police..JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

19 hours ago, I_♥_Police said:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/trois-policiers-portant-des-nouveaux-uniformes-news-photo/843728350

Saw this picture and found it interesting. I am aware in the 70s or 80s the Met produced an experimental type breast badge which was the armorial badge, the same as on the warrant card holders, with a flat surface  underneath for the epaulette number. According to the translation, these three are Met officers however I have never seen examples of the breast badges they are using, has anyone else? They don't look like the standard Met crest at all

Nice

Thanks Dave, I was hoping you would have an input! What a strange picture it is and mysterious badges they use. Very interesting to hear from you they were using the breast badge as per above. I wonder where on earth they got that from!

On 14/07/2023 at 18:26, Dave Wilkinson said:

Very interesting. Excellent detective work locating the image, which is entirely new to me.

For some inexplicable reason, the Metpol. Inspector on the extreme right is wearing on his breast the cap badge of the short lived Devon & Exeter Police (1966-1967). I'm attaching a photo of the small group of badges which were produced for that force. The collar badges were issued and worn. However, the cap badge was only worn by Special Constables and the numbered breast badge was not worn at all. To confuse matters further, the Coat of Arms is that of Devon County Council with no Exeter connection whatsoever.

I suspect that the Met. have used "sample" badges (not related to the Met.) simply to display the proposed uniforms. I've not been able to identify the badges being worn on the breast of the other two bobbies. However, the one being worn by the guy in the centre seems to be the collar badge of the Durham Constabulary, with a small number section fixed below it.

Dave.   

Devon & Exeter Police..JPG

Thank you for the information