News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pace Stick history

Hello,

I am searching for information to the history of the pace stick.

First appearance in the British/Commonwealth Army, regulations, history to similar sticks like the Roman stick to check the Roman mile etc

I only found s.th. to the history of the pace sticking competitions.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

You’re right, there is not much to find but first i found this...

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/defence/caf/military-identity-system/drill-manual/chapter-6.html

it’s an informative read about regulations (Canada) but doesn’t answer your questions 

👇 and then this little passage but nothing to answer your Q in it either...

The origin of the pace stick is claimed by the Royal Regiment of Artillery, who used a "gunner's stick" to measure the distance between guns in the field. It appeared more like a walking stick, with an ivory or silver knob on the end, and, unlike the modern pace stick, could only be opened a fixed distance. It was quickly adopted and adapted by the Infantry as an aid to drill”

Finally i found this on👇

RoyalAnglianDirect.co.uk

Best i can do 🤷‍♂️

A Short History of Pace Sticking

“Stickus Pacium Romanus”

Roman Military Engineers used a pace-stick almost identical to the modern British Army version, with the main difference being a length of rope in place of the modern brass locking bar. When the Roman pace-stick was fully open, the rope went taut and the stick was locked at an angle that measured two Roman marching paces. When building roads, the Roman “sticker” would turn his implement 500 times, which equated to 1 Roman Mile. A mile stone would then be erected. This would be done for the entire length of the road. The length of the modern day pace-sticking course is somewhat shorter, but it is heartening to know that even if Rome wasn’t built in a day, at least it was built with the aid of a pace-stick.

The Royal Regiment of Artillery lays claim to being the originator of the pace-stick, using it to measure the correct distances between guns, limbers and ammunition caissons. Sir John Moore, Father of the British “Light” Infantry writes of the efficient use of pace-sticks” by the Sergeants, in a training manual written in the early 1800s, around the time of the Peninsular War.

In 1928, the late Academy Serjeant Major Arthur Brand developed a drill for the pace-stick and promoted its use throughout the army”

tony 🍻

2 hours ago, Farkas said:

Hi Michael,

You’re right, there is not much to find but first i found this...

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/defence/caf/military-identity-system/drill-manual/chapter-6.html

it’s an informative read about regulations (Canada) but doesn’t answer your questions 

👇 and then this little passage but nothing to answer your Q in it either...

The origin of the pace stick is claimed by the Royal Regiment of Artillery, who used a "gunner's stick" to measure the distance between guns in the field. It appeared more like a walking stick, with an ivory or silver knob on the end, and, unlike the modern pace stick, could only be opened a fixed distance. It was quickly adopted and adapted by the Infantry as an aid to drill”

Finally i found this on👇

RoyalAnglianDirect.co.uk

Best i can do 🤷‍♂️

A Short History of Pace Sticking

“Stickus Pacium Romanus”

Roman Military Engineers used a pace-stick almost identical to the modern British Army version, with the main difference being a length of rope in place of the modern brass locking bar. When the Roman pace-stick was fully open, the rope went taut and the stick was locked at an angle that measured two Roman marching paces. When building roads, the Roman “sticker” would turn his implement 500 times, which equated to 1 Roman Mile. A mile stone would then be erected. This would be done for the entire length of the road. The length of the modern day pace-sticking course is somewhat shorter, but it is heartening to know that even if Rome wasn’t built in a day, at least it was built with the aid of a pace-stick.

The Royal Regiment of Artillery lays claim to being the originator of the pace-stick, using it to measure the correct distances between guns, limbers and ammunition caissons. Sir John Moore, Father of the British “Light” Infantry writes of the efficient use of pace-sticks” by the Sergeants, in a training manual written in the early 1800s, around the time of the Peninsular War.

In 1928, the late Academy Serjeant Major Arthur Brand developed a drill for the pace-stick and promoted its use throughout the army”

tony 🍻

Nice research Tony

1 minute ago, aubagne98 said:

Hi Tony,

thanks fir the Canadian site, it is interesting.

The others I found myself.

Michael

I reckon we are now as informed as anyone 🤷‍♂️ Every mention was just the same few lines cut and pasted. There is really nothing i could see with more detail than that last longer piece. 

tony