News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello friends,
    this medal was sold at a local auction and was subsequently published in the magazine of a collecting society. The author states that it has a diameter of 44 mm, a weight of 29 g. That diameter is larger than usually reported. And I think at 44mm the medal would have to be heavier. He further states that it was made by casting. What do you think about it?

Thanks

Jan

090s2138a.jpg

090s2138r.jpg

Hello Bilylev,

This medal is very worn.

I hace never seen a Waterloo medal of this size. The usual size is 33 - 34 mm.for a weight of +/- 29 - 33 g.

Is this not an error on the part of the author.

Here is a great reference about this medal: Stephan Schwarz: Die Orden und Ehrenzeichen des Herzogtums Braunschweig von 1696 bis 1918. band 2: Die Ehrenzeichen.

Jacques.

The medal is marked LUDW.BERTRAM. 2.LIN.BAT. and is very well researched. 

I would like to hear if the size 44 mm is correct or not. And if it was produced by casting.  Thanks.

IMG20230802193646.jpg

Edited by bilylev

2 hours ago, bilylev said:

I would like to hear if the size 44 mm is correct or not. And if it was produced by casting.  Thanks.

I can only echo what augustin1813 wrote: this medal's diameter should be more around 34 mm. Probably a typo by the author!

These medals were die-struck and there's no doubt about that, but it seems the blanks were pre-cast to make things easier.

• 4 weeks later...