News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I picked up this medical armband many years ago and just recently ran across it. I have never seen another one like it, and I presume it to be from some sort of Christian medical unit. I am fairly sure it is not TR and believe it to be from WW1, since there were many volunteer groups tending to the needs of the wounded. The cross is formed of many rows of chainstitched thread. I know it is not a military chaplains. Does anyone remember seeing another one and perhaps know what it is?

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Here is an example of a chaplain's armband. In this case a TR one, but WW1 was similar. I saw an imperial one at a show once. It was much higher quality and the Red Cross and purple band were in silk, as befitting an officer. The dealer was not at his table at the time and when I came back it was gone. :angry::banger:

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Dan,

I can't say that I have seen one like this, but typically, imperial era armbands do not have makers marks. I have about seven different examples and none have maker's marks. To me, this is more typical of the 1930's and 40's. A few of mine do have ink stamps , but they are unit stamps, similar to the stamps on EK documents.

Chip

Here is an example of a chaplain's armband. In this case a TR one, but WW1 was similar. I saw an imperial one at a show once. It was much higher quality and the Red Cross and purple band were in silk, as befitting an officer. The dealer was not at his table at the time and when I came back it was gone. :angry::banger:

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

• 8 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 9 months later...

Let's see if this image is any better...

post-15692-0-11677000-1414446562.jpg

I am pretty certain this is the uniform of the Freiwillige Sanitätskolonne, a volunteer organisation that usually worked in hospitals. The man is a veteran, clearly, but the white hat cover is the giveaway...