News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Combined ribbon - unusual combination

Carlo

Greetings,
    I want to present to you an article that has given me a lot to think about lately, it is a combined ribbon with 4 decorations.

I know that combined ribbons existed and were used, what makes me think is the combination of decorations to which the individual ribbons belong.
    Order of the Iron Crown, Order of Franz Joseph, Kanonenkreuz, Service Cross.

The ribbon that makes me think is that of the kanonenkreuz, which could have been combined with that of the order of the iron crown, but I have some doubts about the other two.

The ribbon is made of very fine silk, which makes me think it is quite old, but other than that I have no other information.
    If anyone has any ideas or information it would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_2023-10-08-12-08-30-571_com.instagram.android.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-08-12-08-43-449_com.instagram.android.jpg

On 09/10/2023 at 07:58, Carlo said:

Greetings,
    I want to present to you an article that has given me a lot to think about lately, it is a combined ribbon with 4 decorations.

I know that combined ribbons existed and were used, what makes me think is the combination of decorations to which the individual ribbons belong.
    Order of the Iron Crown, Order of Franz Joseph, Kanonenkreuz, Service Cross.

The ribbon that makes me think is that of the kanonenkreuz, which could have been combined with that of the order of the iron crown, but I have some doubts about the other two.

The ribbon is made of very fine silk, which makes me think it is quite old, but other than that I have no other information.
    If anyone has any ideas or information it would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_2023-10-08-12-08-30-571_com.instagram.android.jpg

Screenshot_2023-10-08-12-08-43-449_com.instagram.android.jpg

Yes combined ribbon existed, mainly fo the miniature medals and decorations They are rare

Very interesting ribbon / What is the width

Here is one of mine double french ribbons I have seen combined ribbons for more then two medals and decorations

Regards

023.JPG

It is a nice combination ribbon from the immediate post-1849 years, to be mounted on a then also called as "Mode-Spange", where usually on the bar the highest order was presented as an enameled miniature, placed to the centre of the bar itself.

This bar shows the Imperial Austrian Order of the Iron Crown; the French Order of the Legion of Honour (from the Restauration, presumably), the Metallenes Armeekreuz a.k.a. "Kanonenkreuz" and the "Militärdienstzeichen für Offiziere". this last one, introduced in 1849.

Just to add a little pictorial addition to this discussion, I would like to post the image of an Austrian "Mode-Spange" with combined ribbon, from my own collection. The reverse is struck with maker's and gold marks for the year 1805.

All the best,

Enzo

MMTO-Bandspange.jpg

On 11/10/2023 at 10:17, Elmar Lang said:

It is a nice combination ribbon from the immediate post-1849 years, to be mounted on a then also called as "Mode-Spange", where usually on the bar the highest order was presented as an enameled miniature, placed to the centre of the bar itself.

This bar shows the Imperial Austrian Order of the Iron Crown; the French Order of the Legion of Honour (from the Restauration, presumably), the Metallenes Armeekreuz a.k.a. "Kanonenkreuz" and the "Militärdienstzeichen für Offiziere". this last one, introduced in 1849.

Just to add a little pictorial addition to this discussion, I would like to post the image of an Austrian "Mode-Spange" with combined ribbon, from my own collection. The reverse is struck with maker's and gold marks for the year 1805.

All the best,

Enzo

MMTO-Bandspange.jpg

Interesting explanation.
    The width of the ribbon is exactly 6.8cm and it is approximately 2.5 meters long.
    However, I hadn't thought about the fact that the red ribbon could be a French Order of the Legion of Honour, I have to go and review a couple of things about the alliances of the time.

1 hour ago, Carlo said:

approximately 2.5 meters long.

Such an interesting post it seems almost petty pointing it out but i’m guessing you meant 25 centimetres long?

if not... can i have a piece please 🤞

Cheers

tony 🍻

8 hours ago, Farkas said:

Such an interesting post it seems almost petty pointing it out but i’m guessing you meant 25 centimetres long?

Cheers

tony 🍻

Yes 2.5 meters is a very long This could a a left over from the maker The condition is also superb

The width, perhaps indicates that it was designed for a bar similar Enzo listed earler

On 11/10/2023 at 19:17, Elmar Lang said:

All the best,

Enzo

MMTO-Bandspange.jpg

Thank you for the interesting inforamation

21 hours ago, Farkas said:

Cheers

tony 🍻

HI,
    yes I mean 2.5 meters, but I prefer not to cut it.
    It has arrived today in this form and I don't want to change it.

5 minutes ago, Carlo said:

HI,

Carlos, What a cool find…

I did not expect you to say it was metres!!

21 hours ago, Farkas said:

can i have a piece please 🤞

I wouldn’t want a piece really, that’s a lovely thing for you to have and preserve.

Congratulations.

tony 🍻

10 hours ago, Carlo said:

HI,

Fair decision 2.5 meters That is 100@ factory left over and was discovered at some stage  Congrats