News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi! I was wondering if there is any data on Friedrich Wilhelm v. SEEBACH who entered the prussian KR8 from wurttembergian service in 1814.

Looking for data on his career, life and ODM.

Thanks a lot!

Regards

David

David,

this pretty much covers his Prussian career. As can be seen from the extract from the 1824 Rangliste, he had the French Legion of Honour (Knights' and Officers' Crosses) and the Württemberg Military Merit Order Knights' Cross. His date of death of 11 December 1848 is confirmed in the Militär-Wochenblatt. For some reason, the first attachment does not fully expand to it's full size. If you have trouble reading it, I can email a bigger scan.

Regards

Glenn

Seebach.thumb.jpg.61c3a67742661ff38fe782e1fdc96749.jpgSeebach_Orden.thumb.jpg.53b28a856cc6ba0b91886c6bec3ca899.jpg

Edited by Glenn J

1 year festungsarrest no less! Quite the type.

Would it be possible.to find put the reason for his conviction?

Or for the fact he got promoted to Major after leaving service 20 years later?

Thanks a lot, Glenn

Edited by David M

Gentlemen, am I reading this right: He was promoted to Rittmeister on 25 April 1815? One year after entering as Premierleutnant? Gothaisches Genealogisches Taschenbuch der Uradeligen Häuser has this, I am just not sure, if he is the right one: Friedrich Karl Wilhelm von Seebach (b. 8 June 1787 at Gut Storndorf), Königlich württembergischer Kammerherr, Königlich preußischer Rittmeister (sic!), d. 2 December 1848 at Gut Cammerforst. Son of kurpfälzischer Kapitän George Philipp von Seebach (1748-1822). Wilhelm retired three years after his father died and became lord of the manor or Herr auf Storndorf, Cammerforst, Oppershausen, Flarchheim und Großen-Gottern. Am I on the right track? Thanks! 

Edited by Deutschritter

4 hours ago, David M said:

Where did you read the PLt date?

I was just guessing he was Premierleutnant (27 years old) when entering, seeing his next rank was Rittmeister. Could he have already been Major in 1812 with the Leib-Chevauxlegers-Regiment Nr. 2 (renamed Jäger­-Regiment zu Pferd Nr. 3 „ Herzog Louis“ in 1813)? Can you confirm any of the other information? Maybe the Gotha death date is right and the Militär-Wochenblatt received the information 9 days later (being 1848)? 

Let me add this: If he WAS already Major, then he retired from the Cavallerie-Regiment Nr. 5 on 23 December 1813 (Entlassung durch den König). 

Edited by Deutschritter

4 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Gentlemen, am I reading this right: He was promoted to Rittmeister on 25 April 1815? One year after entering as Premierleutnant? Gothaisches Genealogisches Taschenbuch der Uradeligen Häuser has this, I am just not sure, if he is the right one: Friedrich Karl Wilhelm von Seebach (b. 8 June 1787 at Gut Storndorf), Königlich württembergischer Kammerherr, Königlich preußischer Rittmeister (sic!), d. 2 December 1848 at Gut Cammerforst. Son of kurpfälzischer Kapitän George Philipp von Seebach (1748-1822). Wilhelm retired three years after his father died and became lord of the manor or Herr auf Storndorf, Cammerforst, Oppershausen, Flarchheim und Großen-Gottern. Am I on the right track? Thanks! 

Would you happen to be able to provide a link to this information? I would like to add it to the other sources I mentioned at the end of his bio entry on my website.

Edited by David M

Yes, of course. Here is Gotha:

1905 https://digital.ub.uni-duesseldorf.de/ihd/periodical/pageview/8238324 (Friedrich Karl Wilhelm had 10 children)

1913 (p. 641): https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJB-H927-4?i=376

1921 (now they finally have him as Majorhttps://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJB-4LNK?i=389

I just finished this:

The place “Cemoforte” was probably first mentioned in documents in 860 as a property of the Fulda monastery. In 918, King Konrad owned an estate in Cammerforst (later written Kammerforst), from which the later manor probably emerged. In the 14th century, the Lords of Seebach were enfeoffed with the manor. From 1525 to 1535 the manor was divided into an upper and a lower estate. The indebted von Seebach had to cede 2/3 of their manor to Johann Christoph von Harstall in 1625. During the Thirty Years' War, the place was sacked by imperial troops. The construction of the new church began in 1687. After the upper estate temporarily came to the Lords of Eschwege, Hartmann Adolf von Eschwege sold it to the later Royal British Electoral Braunschweig Generalmajor Johann Christian Friedrich von Seebach (d. 6 December 1791) in 1764. In 1792, after the Generalmajor's death, Wilhelms father, Georg Philipp von Seebach, took over Gut Cammerforst, and in 1822 (provisionally until his retirement from the military in 1825), after his father's death (d. 27 June 1822), Wilhelm himself. In 1848, after Wilhelms's death, Cammerforst was first managed, son Ulrich Friedrich von Seebach took over both upper and a lower estates in 1860, when he was old enough. Until 1815, Kammerforst was the westernmost place in the Electorate, later Kingdom of Saxony. It belonged to the Electoral Saxon office of Langensalza. After the cession to the Kingdom of Prussia, Kammerforst belonged to the Langensalza district (Kreis Langensalza) in the Province of Saxony from 1816 to 1944 (now a part of the Unstrut-Hainich-Kreis in Thuringia). After the end of WWII in 1945, the noble family was expropriated by the communists as part of the land reform.

Edited by Deutschritter

It appears that in the early 1830s, there were paintings of the Befreiungskriege installed in the Louvre. Appearently, the King of France admired the paintings and the actions of german units. This is said to have been the cause for some FEL promotion and awards. E.g. the kurhessian later Generalleutnant Bauer was promoted in the FEL. He wore only his royal FEL in later pictures as I recall.

Could the reason for showing to different grades of the FEL at Seebachs entry in the ranklist mean that he wore his imperial FEL5 and his royal FEL4?

Good question, but I am not an expert. Seebach (b. 8 June 1787 auf Gut Storndorf, Amt Storndorf, Oberamt Alsfeld, Upper Principality of Hesse, Landgraviate of Hesse-Darmstadt, Holy Roman Empire) received his FEL5 (Knight) in 1812 (Königlich-Württembergisches Hof- und Staats-Handbuch, 1812, p. 42) as Major in the Chevauxlegers-Regiment Nr. 2 for Napoleon's Russian campaign (Württemberg served Napoleon from 1806 to 1813) for his service in the bloody Battle of Borodino. He received his FEL4 (Officer) in c. 1822/23, in a time when King Louis XVIII loved handing out decorations, often to Germans, especially if they already had a lower class of the order. If his successors did the same, I do not know.