News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orden vom Zähringer Löwen - How to date?

Hello!

Is there any way to date an Orden vom Zähringer Löwen?

I need an 1st class knight cross from around 1880 for a medalbar to a Swede but I have no experience in these orders. So how can I tell if a piece is made in 1880 or 1914?

Also, what would be a acceptable price for such an order in gold? Any tips on where to buy it?

BR 

Johan

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning! Not sure how to date this order but my thoughts are the pre 1914 examples I’ve seen were made in gold whereas the WW1 pieces were silver gilt. You could try eMedals and search his inventory for examples of both eras. He doesn’t seem to clear his sold pieces from online inventory so you might be able to get some ideas there. Good luck with the hunt!

Thanks for the tip! That is a great looking piece but 1980$ is alot of money. On the other hand the complete medalbar will look great. 

I got some very good help from a fellow member on how to date them according to their painting in the center. 

BTW. Does it exist any rolls over awarded orders? I would like to know the exact date for my guy. 

He got a 1st class knight without swords. 

15 hours ago, JohanH said:

I got some very good help from a fellow member on how to date them according to their painting in the center.

Based on the center medallion of the castle ruins, I'd date the eBay example to roughly 1900-early WW1.

Here is a 1st class from about 1860 in the Tallinn Museum of Orders. Note the more detailed, higher quality of painting in the center medallion.

Order_of_the_Lion_of_Zaringen_commander_1st_class_badge_(Baden_1860)_Tallinn_Museum_of_Orders.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

2 hours ago, bolewts58 said:

Note the more detailed, higher quality of painting in the center medallion.

The higher quality of the painting is not just the result of the period of manufacture, but also of the grade. The quality of decorations is always tied to the grade, with the higher grades usually having the better (if not best) quality.

Kind regards, Laurentius

On 15/01/2024 at 17:15, JohanH said:

... BTW. Does it exist any rolls over awarded orders? I would like to know the exact date for my guy. 

He got a 1st class knight without swords. 

The awards are mentioned for the years before in some editions of the Hof- und Staatshandbuch Baden (e.g. 1910).

Edited by Komtur