News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Publication on Egyptian Orders & Medals

In the last few weeks I came across this recent publication: Magdy Hanafy, 2023. Encyclopedia of Egyptian Protocol: Collars, Orders and Medals 1914-1953. Friends Group for Philately and Numismatics, Cairo. ISBN: 918-977-94-4509-0, 141 pages. It is a PUR binding, and I do fear it may begin to split after use and especially any scanning on a platen. It appears that this was just published in December, 2023. This quite comprehensive oversize volume has beautiful photos of all Royal Egyptian Orders and Medals during the Sultanate through the early Republic period. There are many additional features such as information on the Royal Divan, award documents, cases, manufacturers, hallmarking, military, and civilian uniforms, etc. The text is in both Arabic and English. I have only found the book available on eBay (a Cairo seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276220958858?hash=item40500d588a:g:df0AAOSwCldlfge3&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABEBiDj6p5NuqkOuKGlvrzSFu2DQSevGynroouiveg0Y1fQExACybpg%2FaYxreP0tRGI49Wu3St738o3OLwImqyQTI4fkeJFDsdcA%2BhH8%2FI%2FBcy25HUslh05TgK1xecpe7nE46LAzJsCSx%2BW9idIzXXE36ZcnQhnLR%2BeXSq4oBvFEvzkrf7WPaOkgO%2FC%2FDP1dMTjJbS5z8XN56pxhfBG91nLj3G0dRaneuiQPOB5t8URHLHXfi%2FyyturrCMsEqGlPPtu9QdssbBuAIavvwzrQ0q0iSxFE0KpOBA%2BiCY8Q271WJjs1Gcvn4X2IfQxzKk8IOwEh2bexp7seEWSWIo%2BtGb2vRqkCpNMEyBNJnLv9dWi8MY|tkp%3ABk9SR9zQ8N6aYw, currently has ~10 new copies for US$ 150, plus taxes and shipping). I have contacted the author to see whether there is a more economical price through another venue and where else the book can be purchased. The author has principally published on Egyptian currency, coins, and tokens, but this is a comprehensive and very useful research volume on Egyptian Orders and Medals.

large.Hanafy2023coverinEnglish.jpg.d7d26c424b5e2b9a3302a27145b3c9b2.jpg

Front cover of M. Hanafy 2023, English.

large.Hanafy2023coverinArabic.jpg.68e7a557c2d91bea774874b6d509df33.jpg

“Back” cover of M. Hanafy 2023, Arabic.

large.Hanafy2023TableofContents.jpg.ce268573b8632ce7be40b200c0b9ba8b.jpg

Table of Contents of Hanafy, 2023. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for alerting the community of this new book, Rusty. Any new reference on Egyptian medals is most welcome.

There is a brief overview of this book on this site dedicated mostly to Arabic numismatics and philately: https://arabcollector.com/موسوعة-المراسم-المصرية/ The site should have an English-language tab at the top, and if that doesn't work you can view the site through Google Chrome or run the text through Google Translate for a translation. The article doesn't give much additional information or page views, unfortunately.

Best,

Chris

Howdy Chris, 

I have written the author, Magdy Hanafy, asking about any better price than the eBay source. I have not heard back from him, he may not read English. I have someone in my office who is going to Cairo in March and has expressed a willingness to bring home a few of these oversized/heavy volumes. However, I do not yet have an alternative source. 

Is there anything you would particularly like to see that I could scan for you? 

Cheers, 

Rusty

Best of luck in hearing back from the author and with your colleague’s visit in March!

Thanks very much for the offer. I’ll give it some thought.

Judging from the table of contents, the sections on the Military Star, Medal of Duty, Palestine Medal, Order of Liberation, and “Civilian and Military Official Outfits” could be of most interest to me. In general, I’d be most interested in any information on the medals that hasn’t already been published in the official protocols or existing works - such as numbers awarded, stories of recipients, award documents, variations, and that sort of thing.

Best,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Further to receipt of a copy of the book I detail below a review.

Owain

Encyclopedia of Egyptian Protocol: Collars, Orders, & Medals, 1914-1953

Eng. Mandy Hanafi, 2023 - ISBN: 918-977-94-4509-0

(Publisher - Friends Group for Philately and Numismatics, Cairo)

Authoritative books on the awards of Egypt are scarce and until this book was published the only other references were the bilingual, Arabic and French ‘Protocol of the Kingdom of Egypt, Office of the Grand Chamberlain’, Government Publishing Service, Cairo, 1947 and the more recent Arabic language only, ‘Encyclopedia of Egyptian Necklaces, Badges and Orders, Sashes and Medals’ 2015, by Police Major General Sameh Abdulrahman Al-Laqani. Hanafi’s book is a most welcome addition to the library of Egyptian awards. This large format, softback 400 plus page book, is in Arabic and English and is extensively illustrated. Whilst not containing a list of contents – such are referred to in an index, the chapters are as follows:

·         Chapter 1       The Emergence and Development of Decorations in Egypt, pages 17-79, being a historical resume from ancient times to the abolition of the monarchy in 1953, including definitions of terms.

·         Chapter 2 – A detailed listing of all awards, pages 81-274, including instituting laws and multiple illustrations and explanatory narratives, pages 81-274. The Arabic laws are detailed in full whilst the English translations are resumes. The illustrated breakdowns of the constituent parts of each award and detailed translation of medallic inscriptions is excellent.

·         Chapter 3       A miscellaneous chapter, pages 277-409, containing details of the Royal Divan or Court; Banners; Decree; Palace Protocol; Military & Civil ranks; Military & Civilian uniforms; the Manufacture and manufacturers of awards; Varieties of Arabic script (calligraphy); Calligraphers; Monograms; Chamberlain & Court Badges of Office; Royal wedding badges, Certificates; Hallmarks; Judicial, Senate and House of Representatives badges.

Such a book is to be recommended to all who have an interest in the awards of the Kingdom and the author’s attention to detail is to be commended. Whilst having some experience in the study of Egyptian awards there was much that was new to me and some key takeaways included the distinction between the awards of the Sultanate of Egypt and the Kingdom of Egypt – the change in design of the Medals of Duty and Merit; the varieties of the 1948 Palestine War Medal and the institution by 1953 Royal Decree of the Order of the Star of Liberation and the Medal of the Star of Liberation.

Some constructive suggestions for a future edition would include a request that it be published in hardback with a formal contents page. The English text whilst currently more than adequate would benefit from being reviewed by a native English speaker. Such an edition would also benefit from expansion to include further details concerning the awards of the Khedivate – especially the 1892 Khedive Abbas Hilmi Accession Medal and the 1913 Abbas Hilmi Bravery Medal. Further awards, which admittedly are not government awards could include - Fuad I Ambulance Union Medal, 1933 Commemorative Medal for the 50th Anniversary of the National Court, 1937 Farouk Coronation Medal, 1945 Mosquito Eradication Medal, 1947 Cholera Epidemic Medal and Royal Red Crescent Society Medal.

All in all the book is a wealth of information with excellent illustrations and photographs. The author is to be congratulated on his research. I would again recommend the book to all who have an interest in the Kingdom of Egypt.

Sounds interesting...

The author might find it worth exploring Print on Demand options as international shipping is so overpriced these days. A PDF version might also be advantageous, readilly sent direct to purchasers.

Thank you Megan, Rusty & Chris. One word of caution - if you order the book please ensure that the seller wraps it well - mine arrived in a covering of cling film within its courier's plastic bag - the spine of the book had been damaged by dropping - adequate padding/packaging would have avoided this. As to the price $150 - yes, expensive, plus an extra $50 for shipping thus $200! I would have preferred cheaper and no doubt there is a mark up on both, but no sight of any other source............Owain 

I just received my copy of this book the other day, and all I can say is, wow, well done. If you’re serious about Egyptian/Arab/Middle Eastern orders and medals, this book absolutely deserves a place on your shelf. Several questions which had dogged me for decades were immediately answered during a quick skim through it.

The text is nearly 50-50 English and Arabic, the printing and photo quality are excellent, it’s well-bound. There are a few typographical errors I noticed, which could have been easily corrected, but they don’t detract. I asked the Ebay seller to make sure it was packaged securely, and — even though it was only slightly more well-packed that Owain’s description above (my copy was plastic-wrapped and placed inside a paper shopping bag inside the DHL plastic bag), it arrived in very good condition.

Yes, it’s expensive, but arguably worth it for some people.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Howdy All,

Magdy Hanafy just contacted me. He has not indicated the price of the book through him, but I will contact him tomorrow. I know that many of you who are interested in the volume have have already purchased them through Shebabcoin on eBay. If anyone still would be interested in trying to put in an order with the author, please let me know, and I will check back with you once I know the price.

Cheers, Rusty

Magdy Hanafy has not yet identified a price to me, it depends on how many books are purchased. I have a colleague in Cairo now who is willing to carry a few books home. That also would reduce the price per book. I am checking when she returns to the US. 

Posted (edited)

I am arranging the purchase of 4 copies of Magdy Hanafy's books. One of my staff members is in Cairo until this Friday. I still do not know the precise discount of the book. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

The staff member from my office was unable to meet with Mandy Hanafy. There are 2 current options. We can wait until October, and my staff member will be back in Cairo and get 4 books for $90 each. Or, I can order now and have 4 copies shipped to the US for $100 each. One person is willing to pay $100 and get a copy soon (with a caveat about better packaging than the eBay seller employed). Please let me know if anyone else interested in a copy has a preference. 

Well, the problem is that I am not living in US. I am ready to pay USD 100,- including postage immediately, but shipped to Prague, Czech Republic.

Howdy Jan, 

Another colleague in our office is Czech. He has to visit Europe occasionally for his mother's health. She is in Belgium, but on his last trip last year he did go to Prague. She does own an apartment in Prague, and something will have to be done about it in the near future. I will check to see if he may have a trip planned that would make it easier to get a copy of the book to you in the near future. I have 2 conferences I must attend in Köln, Germany and Sevilla, Spain. Maybe there is amore economical way to post the book form one of those locations. Sorry, not an easy solution soon, but I wil keep trying to work on this for you. 

Cheers, 

Rusty

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy All, 

I have sent Magdy Hanafy payment for 3 copies of his book. One copy is already earmarked for EJ, so there are still 2 copies available. Because he selected a wire transfer, my cost for each book is $108 (still below the $150 +$50 shipping thorough Shehabcoin on eBay). He will receive the money after 30 April, when his bank releases it to him. Please send me a personal message (through "Messages" here on GMIC or my email address in my profile) if you wish to get one of the remaining copies and we can arrange the most economical shipping.

Cheers, Rusty