News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian Generals uniform: overview of changes

Good morning!

I would like to know if there is anywhere the changes to the prussian Generals uniform are listed from the time of the napoleonic wars untill the end of WW1.

Regards

David 

The same publisher, different author:

Kraus: Die feldgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres 1907 - 1918. Band 1 + 2

Also information regarding generals.

There is also the book by Ortenburg/Prömper: Preussisch-deutsche Uniformen von 1640-1918 which has some information on generals, too.

Best,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Knötel/Pietsch/Collas describes the evolution of the Prussian general’s uniform from (from memory) the mid 1800’s to around 1914 on the basis of the pertinent AKO’s, so that could be useful.

Kind regards,

Sandro

Hi Sandro! That sounds great!

I have found some A.O. on the kurhessian General uniforms from 1834 to 1856 and I would like to compare them to the prussian developments in the General uniform.

Would you happen to have the book you mentioned? 

11 hours ago, GdC26 said:

Knötel/Pietsch/Collas

With the greatest respect to Sandro, I don't believe the Knötel/Pietsch/Collas will help much before the situation at 1914.

Two books I would recommend which do cover the subject in some detail are:

Formations- und Uniformierungsgeschichte des preußischen Heeres 1808 bis 1912, Band II by Paul Pietsch.

and

Geschichte der Bekleidung und Ausrüstung der Königlich Preußischen Armee in den Jahren 1808 bis 1878 by Louis Adalbert Mila. This however is just text with no illustrations.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

You are of course correct, what I had in mind (and in fact scanned for David) is Paul Pietsch’ Formationsgeschichte. That reminds me that I should check before I type, even if it was early …..

Kind regards,

Sandro