News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have had this medal for quite some time. It came as is, without the medals and without the 5th place ribbon.

1. 1870 Iron Cross 2nd Class
    2. Red Eagle Order (very faded)
    3. Prussian Crown Order
    4. 25 Years Long Service Cross 
    5. (missing)
    6. 1866 War Cross

My guess for the 5th is either the 1864 Düppel Cross/Alsen Cross or the 1870-71 KDM.

image.thumb.jpeg.78ecc27a191836f435393b80f15de453.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.12400bfdfcb34735587712919b0a3c5c.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

This could be your bars replacement. It would confirm why the KDM ribbon is missing on yours as well, the battle bars were recycled. Nice find from 2013.

Ι would like your opinion on this. Should I proceed with the restoration? Medals can be found.

But what about the missing ribbon? Should I try to sew one or leave it as it is?

On 18/07/2024 at 14:38, dond said:

This could be your bars replacement. It would confirm why the KDM ribbon is missing on yours as well, the battle bars were recycled. Nice find from 2013.

The battle clasps were donated on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Franco-Prussian victory. Thus, this hypothesis would date the medal to somewhere between late 1895 and 1897.

Edited by Giannis S.

1 hour ago, Stogieman said:

If that’s the case, when he upgraded the bar to reflect award of the Centennial Medal maybe he just moved the battle bars to the new bar?

Probably, unless the oldest is pre-1895, which I think is more likely.