News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early Soviet Police Badges

As I was re-reading some PMs, it occurred to me that I have been remiss by not responding to a request for early Soviet police badges. Well, I'm not one to make others beg, so here are four. If I come across any more, I'll post them here, too. Only the one on the bottom right came home with me this trip. I've had the others for a while.

The bottom right badge is a Georgian variant of a known Russian badge, or at least a known design. However, I believe that this variant may be uncataloged and unknown in the west. Please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken about that. This one appears to be silver and the shield number is a separate piece attached at the bottom of the design.

Guest Rick Research

From Ya. Yo. Ozoyain: best wishes on the start of a new career 24 November 1924. Apparently a cadet--though he appears to be about 12! Insignia of position at this period was "situational" and his appearance seems best to match "student at a command school" rather than holding an actual command job. Wearing the early patchwork insignia of either red rank on green for foot or on yellow for mounted police units, on black or dark blue depending on branch. Note the cap badge:

[attachmentid=40371][attachmentid=40372]

Guest Rick Research

What is scary is that he dedicated those best wishes to "little Oleg"-- who must have been all of 9!!!

Anyway, the "notch" on top of the cap badge was the M1923, which was replaced in MARCH 1926 by the "crossed leaves" shown in yours upper right BUT that badge was--theoretically at least-- replaced in SEPTEMBER 1926 when the shields were changed from red to green.

I've seen police insignia in superceded and replaced patterns worn for years afterwards, so those have got to be taken as approximate dates. In any case, a whole NEW series of perpetually endless insignia changes started up again in 1931, so these are definitely 1920s insignia and badges.

The insignia/badge upper left escapes my attempts at identification. The actual police BADGE lower left would seem to be for command personnel, and sometime in the up-to-September 1926 time period. Officers wore gold while the ranks wore silver.

The Tiflis Criminal Investigation (detectives bureau) badge is just wonderful. The fact that it is in Russian and not Georgian might help date it???

From Ya. Yo. Ozoyain: best wishes on the start of a new career 24 November 1924. Apparently a cadet--though he appears to be about 12! Insignia of position at this period was "situational" and his appearance seems best to match "student at a command school" rather than holding an actual command job. Wearing the early patchwork insignia of either red rank on green for foot or on yellow for mounted police units, on black or dark blue depending on branch. Note the cap badge:

[attachmentid=40371][attachmentid=40372]

This is an early cap badge I have...quite similar to the one in your foto...?

Chris

Maybe I'm cheating a bit but this badge also came in "Chiefs of military Police"

It is for ten years anniversary of the Revolution awarded in 1927, made of silver and enamels this badge was for ?Chiefs of the Prison Service? my best interpretation as it was only awarded to the higher echelons in both services...as these people later on fell out of favour with Stalin not many survived...

Chris

Maybe I'm cheating a bit but this badge also came in "Chiefs of military Police"

Hi Chris S,

If you would like an accomplice - we?ll go down in flames together for cheating.

Now I may be wrong; but as I understand it, my badge which is pictured below is a sort of a second class (bronze) version of yours. The level of award being based on length of service. Hopefully one of our more learned forum members can clarify this point.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Chris S,

If you would like an accomplice - we?ll go down in flames together for cheating.

Now I may be wrong; but as I understand it, my badge which is pictured below is a sort of a second class (bronze) version of yours. The level of award being based on length of service. Hopefully one of our more learned forum members can clarify this point.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card

The badge you show is the "Chief of Military Police" which is the prison chiefs twin. However they were made in silver only according to my avers No 5. That coupled with its one piece construction and lack of wear leads me to think it is a copy.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris S,

Thank you so much for pointing out the difference in our two badges - Prison Chiefs vs. Military Police. My Russian is, to say the least, not very good; but I should have picked up on the fact that these are two different items.

When I made made my statement regarding ?...a sort of a second class (bronze) version...?, I failed to mention my source which is ?History of Awards and Badges Russian MVD 1802 - 2002 by Mikhail Rogov. He states on page 75 that (again, my Russian is not that good) the Military Police badge was awarded in silver to recipients with 7 to 10 years service and in bronze to those with 5 to 7 years. At the bottom of the page he illustrates (exhibit #1.2.1.17) an example of the Military Police badge in bronze.

I think that I should also respond to your observation regarding ?...its one piece construction...?. When I submitted post #12, I intended to show a picture of the reverse as well; but for some reason did not - shame on me. At any rate, my badge is in fact not of one, but rather three, piece construction. The picture below shows the two wire prongs which secure the ?X? at the top of the badge and the similar ones that secure the shield at the center.

With regard to the lack of wear, with the exception of chipped enamel to the ?X? and the wobbly shield, I must say that it is in pretty good shape.

In closing, I certainly thank you for pointing out the differences between our badges and the fact that I may have a copy.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card

I have to admit these are good omens that the bronze version is recognised in other published books and that it is three piece with a crisp back.

I would not have made the comment "it looks like a copy" with these facts. I will keep my fingers crossed you have a good one and that both versions of a very rare badge are now displayed together.

Attached the back of my silver prison service...

Regards

Chris

Edited by Chris S

Gentlemen,

Thanks to additional advice and information received from Chris S, I am happy to pass on some additional details regarding my Military Police badge.

Upon closer inspection, I have found that my badge is actually of a 4 piece construction format; and not 3 piece as previously stated. As can be seen in the picture below, the hammer and sickle are separate from the shield. Also pictured below is the locking nut/plate which I believe is original.

I hope that you find this information to be helpful; and thank you again Chris S. :cheers:

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Edited by Wild Card