News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Azeri MOOP 20-Year Service Medal

Guest Rick Research

I don't actually know anybody who collects these-- how do you "collect' if you can't FIND?

I'm interested in all things police, but I swear the same variant police reverses medals have been on Igor's site, for instance, for 10 years now.

Just too much for the level of interest I've ever observed! :(

:beer: for showing us the only one of these most of us are ever likely to see!!!

Last week I had supper with an Azeri family, friends of a friend. The family head man turns out to be a real nice, affable guy my age or so (read ancient) and he asked me to sit next to him at their large table. OK, fine. So how do you strike up a conversation with a stranger who doesn't speak your language and whom you've just met? OK, no problem, right? I can get along in my halting Russian which, of course, he speaks perfectly, and I'm seldom at a loss for words in a social situation.

Me: "So, what kind of business are you in?"

Him: "I'm retired."

Me: "Really?, Me, too. What did you retire from?"

Him: "Police."

Me: "Police? Really? What did you do with the police?"

Him: "Head."

Me: "Head of what?"

Him: "The nation."

I astound myself at my ability to ask dumb questions. Yeah, the guy is the retired head of the Azeri MVD. He asked me to come to Baku last -- what would it be now? -- last Tuesday. He said he'd like to show me around and he would guarantee me an enjoyable stay at his home.

Very difficult to turn down an invitation like that, but I had to. Maybe next time. It's an open invitation, or so I am led to believe.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Uh oh! Baku! The January (1918) massacres! Dunsterforce! Germans blocking the Turks athwart Georgia's railway lines through the mountains! Uboats being shipped in pieces for re-assembly in the Caspian!

Baku! Baku! That inky, oily, far-off city of unimaginable wealth and unspeakable horror!

Next year in Baku! :beer:

Chuck,

That's quite a trip you had. I would definately take him up on that offer. One of these days I'll have to take a trip to Russia. Always wanted to I just haven't done it.

Best,

:beer: Doc

I have never wanted to go on a cruise. I know that a lot people love 'em but the idea just never appealed to me. Uh oh, can you hear my darlin' wife? That's her, saying "We're going on a cruise."

Then she comes up with a St. Pete - Moscow river cruise and what could I say? We're going in the fall of 2007. Our good Georgian-Russian friends there are going to host our stay in Moscow and "provide everything" (according to them) for us in St. Pete. They are already talking about some private museum tours. I guess it could be a lot worse than that.

I don't actually know anybody who collects these-- how do you "collect' if you can't FIND?

(...)

Rick,

I agree... Very difficult to find them except the most current ones. And, as soon as you go outside the "basic" range easily available, prices are skyrocketing. I have been proposed a number of them 2/3 years ago, and did not buy them because of their price... what I regret today. :(

Ch.