News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello again,

I have in my possession what I believe to be a copy of the Luftwaffe See Battle badge. I have heard differing reports on if these were even awarded or not. Any information on this specific badge and the overall badge in general (original examples etc) are extremely helpful. This one has the variation BSW marking as well, was this a late to post-war marking for the BSW company? or is it SBW?.

Thanks,

Pat

and the back of this much discussed badge. The dimensions match those mentioned in one reference book I have read, the Orden and Auszechein (spelled wrong) der Deutschen Reiches. Sorry about the title, but it was written by a Dr K I believe. Any comments are welcome,

Pat

Guest Darrell

Pat all these badges have the same pin / hinge assembly as the others deemed fakes. ANYTHING with a revesre like these is no good.

BTW .. there has never been any evidence to suggest this one was ever awarded or even produced for that matter.

Edited by Darrell

BTW .. there has never been any evidence to suggest this one was ever awarded or even produced for that matter.

Agreed! I've seen a couple prelim documents awarded for this badge I would accept as original, but no actual badge examples have ever surfaced that have been accepted by the collecting community as original.

ERIC

Hallo Gents,

I sea :P the fantasea :P mercheants have been hard at work :P

What a design, what artistry, who did you say it was for "Popheinrich Der Dritter Reich Sailor Mann" :P

and why would the Navy item have a Luftwaffe eagle or have I misidentified it, never could tell the eagles from the hawks

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

and why would the Navy item have a Luftwaffe eagle or have I misidentified it, never could tell the eagles from the hawks

Hi Kev,

This was actually to be a Luftwaffe award, not one of the Kriegsmarine. It was instituted on November 27, 1944 to be awarded to Luftwaffe Air/Sea Rescue crews, supply ships, and other misc. surface ships that performed air related tasks.

ERIC

At least one (presumably one of the factory test shots) was manufactured and illustrated ( ie a photo, not a drawing) when details of the Luftwaffenverordnungsblatt was published in the press at the time.

Very major difference is that all the fakes have the wrong eagle. It should be the larger eagle from the Luftwaffe Flak Badge, not the smaller eagle from the Ground Combat Badge, that was used.

Hi Kev,

This was actually to be a Luftwaffe award, not one of the Kriegsmarine. It was instituted on November 27, 1944 to be awarded to Luftwaffe Air/Sea Rescue crews, supply ships, and other misc. surface ships that performed air related tasks.

ERIC

Thanks for the info with regards this item :beer:

Another myth?? the Airplane destruction badge (similar to the Tank destruction Badge) that comes up for sale now and again on ebay, I believe they were authorised but the factory was destroyed before production got underway and none were ever made or issued.

Maybe we should start a thread and post all examples of Fake, Fantasy, 3 reich items :unsure: we spot on the net?? Comments please!

I think that is a great idea Kevin! :beer: But which forum to start it in? I have a Balloon Observer badge I could start it off with, but which forum should it be in?

Thanks,

Pat

That mark looks like the SBW cloverleaf mark applied as a spoof BSW trademark to cast but good quality copies - not intended to deceive - of all sorts of badges made around twenty-five years ago by the Londoner Sean Barry Weske, who now lives in California. The hinge and pin assembly suggest an early Sean Barry copy, before he bought in and began to use the type encountered on 1957-pattern official reissue badges. I could be wrong but that is what this badge resembles as far as I am concerned. Of course, this is not a "copy" as such, because the Seekampfabzeichen was not actually produced.

PK

• 3 months later...
    • 5 years later...

Here is my example. The pin fell off. You can see that the reverse has one solid rivit. The other seems to not have it. I am not saying that this is an original. I don't know enough nor I don't believe that there is any that are definate originals. But, here is my example. I think it is a pretty decent production piece, even if it is post war; but who knows. Maybe there will be some info to turn up that can give us a more definative answer to these awards.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

JustinG