News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Auschwitz Cross

Came across this medal, thought it might be of interest to someone on the forum, or make an intersting topic of conversation.

Auschwitz Cross

Conferred to honour prisoners and the victims of Auschwitz and other nazi concentration camps established by the Germans in WW2, first of all to members of the camp Resistance. It could be awarded to other countries' citizens and could be awarded posthumously. A recipient's conduct while imprisoned must have been honorable.

The Cross is a silver Greek cross with wide arms, 42 x 42 mm. Obverse shows barb wires and camp poles; the year 1939 on the left, 1945 - on the right arm. In the center there is a red enameled triangle with the letter P, as worn by Polish nationals imprisoned in the camps. The reverse bears THE PRL MARKING

the inscription

PRL / WIEZNIOM / HITLEROWSKICH / OBOZOW KONCENTRACYJNYCH

( PEOPLES Republic of Poland to prisoners of nazi concentration camps).

Came across this medal, thought it might be of interest to someone on the forum, or make an intersting topic of conversation.

Auschwitz Cross

Conferred to honour prisoners and the victims of Auschwitz and other nazi concentration camps established by the Germans in WW2, first of all to members of the camp Resistance. It could be awarded to other countries' citizens and could be awarded posthumously. A recipient's conduct while imprisoned must have been honorable.

The Cross is a silver Greek cross with wide arms, 42 x 42 mm. Obverse shows barb wires and camp poles; the year 1939 on the left, 1945 - on the right arm. In the center there is a red enameled triangle with the letter P, as worn by Polish nationals imprisoned in the camps. The reverse bears THE PRL MARKING

the inscription

PRL / WIEZNIOM / HITLEROWSKICH / OBOZOW KONCENTRACYJNYCH

( PEOPLES Republic of Poland to prisoners of nazi concentration camps).

Hall BJW, :beer:

just to tip off people, the Auschwitz Cross has been faked as well as T.R. stuff, from what I saw on the web, the difference is in the style of the lettering to the rear. I will try to locate some pictures to show the difference, being buried on my hard-drive somewhere :blush:

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hallo Gentlemen, :beer:

with regards the Auschwitz Cross, these pictures were posted on Ebay UK in 2004, to show the differences between the real and fake / Repro, alas the sellers name is no longer held by me in my notes, and I apologise for that.

But clearly she posted these as a warning to be careful when buying these.

As can be seen the repro is a poor comparison when side by side with the original, the repro ribbon ring is also bare of any decoration, unlike the original.

Also the original red triangle is a deeper red then the fakes.

As these tend to represent people who had little or no chance to fight back against the iii reich and therefore suffered far more than the normal combatants, it is reprehensable that they are being faked for easy money :angry:

Big Jar of Wasps Cross looks to be an original piece :jumping:

PS forgot to mention: BJW. Is this in the right catagory????

Edited by Kev in Deva

Many thanks for that Kev.

Good question as to whether this is in the right catogory. Think I`m right in saying that these were awarded by the German people, as apoosed to the 3rd Reich. So you might have a point there.

:angry: I agree with you, about the type of people who`d fake these items. But that just about sums up the human race in general really doesn`t it. :angry:

But I would be interested to hear from anyone who was either awrded one of these medals, or had a family memeber who was. I wonder did they wear them, or did they tell the Germans to `poke it?`

Many thanks for that Kev.

Good question as to whether this is in the right catogory. Think I`m right in saying that these were awarded by the German people, as apoosed to the 3rd Reich. So you might have a point there.

:angry: I agree with you, about the type of people who`d fake these items. But that just about sums up the human race in general really doesn`t it. :angry:

But I would be interested to hear from anyone who was either awrded one of these medals, or had a family memeber who was. I wonder did they wear them, or did they tell the Germans to `poke it?`

Hallo BJW :beer:

the award is from POLAND to Polish and International Survivours of the camps, the P in red triangel I believe designates "Political" Prisoner. I have seen the medal attached to a Belgium medal bar, obviously very post WW2.

It also comes with an award booklet.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Kev what you saw on the Belgian medal bars, could it have the one for the Policitcal Prisoners etc issued by Belgium, it's a silver cross with a silver P in a black background and blue and white striped ribbon (I've one on the Belgian forum on a bar some where) This is much earlier than the above cross which is perhaps of the cuff from memory 1980's issue ?

Kr

Marcus

Kev what you saw on the Belgian medal bars, could it have the one for the Policitcal Prisoners etc issued by Belgium, it's a silver cross with a silver P in a black background and blue and white striped ribbon (I've one on the Belgian forum on a bar some where) This is much earlier than the above cross which is perhaps of the cuff from memory 1980's issue ?

Kr

Marcus

Hallo Marcus, :beer:

now you come to mention it, you might be right, with regards it being a Belgian type, I was relying on memory when I typed my post :blush: sometimes not the most reliable way to do things.

Your cross is something like these pics:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Could the `B` in fact stand for Belsen?

Just a thought.

No the B is from Belgiun, the politacal prisoners in Nazi germany had a red triangel wit the letter of their country on their left breast pocket,

B = Belgium

F = France

etc...

her you find More Information about the triangel badges

see ols the webiste of Camp of Breendonk near Antwerp

Edited by g_deploige

Your cross is something like these pics

Kevin,

Wonderfull one,

7 stars and 1 black bar.

Black bar for those who didn't survive their imprisonnement

and each star stands for a half year of imprisonnement.

So this person died after 3,5 years in a camp...

But you said you have a medal in a medal group...

Could you take a picture of that group and show it to us???

Kind regards :beer:

Edited by Jacky

Kevin,

Wonderfull one,

7 stars and 1 black bar.

Black bar for those who didn't survive their imprisonnement

and each star stands for a half year of imprisonnement.

So this person died after 3,5 years in a camp...

But you said you have a medal in a medal group...

Could you take a picture of that group and show it to us???

Kind regards :beer:

Hi Jacky, :beer:

No, it was Marcus H, who said he had one in a group, in his post (No. 7)

And he has a picture posted under the Belgium section at:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3606

oh oh oh :blush:

Always shuffles things when its hot outside...

My mind seems to degrade with the temperature rising

Excuses for that, and yes, nice medalgroup there!!!

Thanks for all your help :beer:

Edited by Jacky

oh oh oh :blush:

Always shuffles things when its hot outside...

My mind seems to degrade with the temperature rising

Excuses for that, and yes, nice medalgroup there!!!

Thanks for all your help :beer:

One Auschwitz Cross up for grabs here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Auschwitz-Cross-Nazi...1QQcmdZViewItem

in my opinion a very high price for a non-documented award, and hard to see if there is any detail on the Aushwitz Ribbon ring :o Picture with large brown table medal.

He also is offering another with the mini at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Auschwitz-Nazi-Conce...1QQcmdZViewItem

Its easier to see the detail on this one.

Kevin in Deva.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Yes, Quite a high price,

Concerning its originality... :blush:

It could be.

From this picture, you can see that the suspension ring is larger than the cross

IPB Image

this picture shows a smooth back, nice lettering and no struck rims of stamping...

IPB Image

So all in all, it seems quite original.

however the other 2 medals are quite cheap to find and obtain.

the worth should come out of the tablemedal and the auschwitz cross...

No name, no picture, only 4 boxes.... :unsure:

I would pass on it :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Anybody any views on this one please?

Hallo leigh, :cheers:

My opinion is this:

I think its ok, as the ring seems to have an embellishment on it, where as the repro have a plain ring,

if you look back the posts you can see some comparison photos I posted before.

What I don't like is the price for this I would expect brevet, cross and mini in the box.

They are not so rare items, frequently turning up on the "E" site.

Ta, I know one of the indicators re fake is the plain ring, but I'm not clued up on fake v genuine with these, & don't know what the price should be.

This has the award booklet to a female & as I recall a stick pin showing a flower wilting on the barbed wire, & a Cross of Merit in Bronze without documentation.

Think I'll pass on it due to price & lack of attributaion of the Bronze Cross.