News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nietsche & Guenther splittergoggles..

• Replies 90
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jos,

I posted this pair because I am starting to change my mind about the non-symetrical bridge being a good indicator of goggles being reproductions. When I return from the snow I hope Santa has beenkind enough to give me a pair so I can post them!

I will also cross-post on the WA forums as well.

Merry Christmas all!

(edit) Jos do you have the paper liner to the metal container? If so can you post pictures of that as well?

Edited by John Cooper

Thanks Jos :cheers:

I see it is plain paper with a tab or somehting which I assume sealed the the protective wrap. If I am not mistaken I have seen a corragated type as well.

I would like to have a pair of those New Ebay type with the cardboard box to see first hand the quality and the differences fromthe realthing.

Regards

John

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Here are two type 3 goggles, notice the difference in rear frame thickness (the raised part) between the upper & lower goggles. There is also a difference in thickness between the left and right side frames on the lower pair.

Isn't there also a version of the 3rd type that can be completely folded in half?

On another note, there are variations on the metal cans for the type 3 goggles. Some cans say "Splitterschutzbrille" and others say "Splitterschutzbrillen". I believe there may also be a difference in letter font/script between cans?

Is the word Splitterschutzbrillen plural and did these cans contain 2 pair of goggles? I ask this becuase many years ago I was offered a can with 2 pair of completely folded type 3 goggles that fit in 1 metal tin.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by mjfur

I think both pairs are OK, I've seen this before,maybe something with the mold..?

Are they both same size ?

Yes,there are completely foldable N&G goggles,they're of the type with the 2 screws in the nose bridge ,I guess you might be right, 2 of these fit a container IMO.

I think changing of lenses from the clear pair to the dark pair was very difficult with the tiny screws etc..

I've some pics were we can see a pilot with clear type N&G and over that pair he wears a "tropical" pair of dustgoggles with dark lenses..

So,I think 2 pairs of N&G both with different lenses was a good solution.

Jos.

Edited by Jos Le Cont

I think both pairs are OK, I've seen this before,maybe something with the mold..?

Are they both same size ?

Yes,there are completely foldable N&G goggles,they're of the type with the 2 screws in the nose bridge ,I guess you might be right, 2 of these fit a container IMO.

I think changing of lenses from the clear pair to the dark pair was very difficult with the tiny screws etc..

I've some pics were we can see a pilot with clear type N&G and over that pair he wears a "tropical" pair of dustgoggles with dark lenses..

So,I think 2 pairs of N&G both with different lenses was a good solution.

Jos.

Both pair are original, I just posted the pic to show some of the other imperfections you may find in these goggles. Much like the un-even nose bridge.

Regards,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I mean..

Both are wearing a double pair of goggles probably to change from clear to dark lenses..., they just put another larger pair over the N&G.., worked fine I think, even better than working with 2 pairs of N&G or changing lenses...

Jos.

Yes John, I've been wondering about the first photo..

We've 2 chances there..

1. The N&G goggles seems the 2nd rigid type to me..

The goggles might have clear lenses and the Summer model 306 on top of the head has dark lenses.

2. N&G has dark lenses and the 306 has clear..,doesn't make sense, but in that case he had to put up/off his N&G and use the 306...,which makes this combination more complicated, so putting the 306 over the N&G has my vote..., just a bit of a brainstorm,ofcourse..

Now I look again I think the 306 is no 306 but a pair of Leitz..., anyway..

Jos.

Edited by Jos Le Cont

• 5 months later...

This has been down for awhile, but I thought I'd add a bit more. As far as I know, the only N&G's faked are the second type (rigid frame with elastic strap). Some are VERY good, and the only way to tell is a slight difference in the curvature of the lenses. I could really only see this when comparing a real pair to a fake pair side by side. Maybe if someone has one of each we can set up a comparison photo?

Ian

This has been down for awhile, but I thought I'd add a bit more. As far as I know, the only N&G's faked are the second type (rigid frame with elastic strap). Some are VERY good, and the only way to tell is a slight difference in the curvature of the lenses. I could really only see this when comparing a real pair to a fake pair side by side. Maybe if someone has one of each we can set up a comparison photo?

Ian

Besides the bad fakes I've seen about 2 or 3 types of fake 2nd models which are very good, so to speak, but they show errors..

The 3rd model is faked as well, especially the ones with the screws in the nose bridge..

Jos.

• 3 weeks later...